2nd BIAB brew coming up

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

2nd BIAB brew coming up

Post by Meatymc » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Well as there has been nothing on here for a week and a half I thought I'd better post something.

My 1st brew is conditioning and although I should leave well alone to give it the best chance possible to impress - and keep me on this rather dark and dangerous road, I will be sampling a bottle on Xmas Eve. The fact that I will also be 'sampling' several other styles brewed as far back as February could mean I may not remember what it's like - I'll try and think on to make notes and have that bottle first.

2nd BIAB is a repeat of the 1st but with a little extra Munich and to 3 gallons rather than 2. I'll let you know if I can beat the 5 hours 45 minutes it took me to do the 1st one!!!

alix101
Under the Table

Re: 2nd BIAB brew coming up

Post by alix101 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Preparation is the best way to cut time and make brewing easier. ..malt weighed hops etc in groups and times water ready ...the little things but the best advise i could give is don't drink while brewing never works well :lol:
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 pm

2nd brew in the FV Saturday. Did it my way so to speak so we'll have to see whether I've avoided the dreaded infection.

Decided to use hot water through the CH boiler - that speeded up the start. Then mashed for 75 minutes - boiled for 75 minutes. Total from 1st jug of hot water into the pan to end of boil - 3 hours. Then draped a large sanitized cloth over the pan and went out for a couple of pints. Sorry alix but not having a beer whilst surrounded by all those aroma's is near impossible - for me at least.

Returned 2 hours later to find temp had dropped by 20 degrees. Into a cold bath with 1 change of water and down to pitching temp in 35 minutes.

So, ignoring the 'playing out' bit took just over 4 hours. Checked 24 hours later and plenty of activity going on with a 1 inch thick krausen.

So this was a lazy and stress free brew. Whether I've done enough to avoid any infection and/or it makes a decent beer remains to be seen.

I'll let you know.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:43 pm

1st Jan update. Down to 2012 and smells really good. It does have something like unfermented yeast floating on the surface. Can't see it can be and doesn't appear to be affected in any way - had a nip from the trial jar and by far the best brew i've tasted at this stage.

Added 15g of cascade as a late hop addition as previous brew does seem to lack a bit of aroma. Only leaving it for 48 hours as intend bottling Sunday. Looking good so far providing these floaters aren't anything significant.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:03 am

Can i just say I'm a bit stunned at the reads on this - hope that means my blurb is helping someone somewhere!

I've updated my First BIAB post by the way tonight as well if you're interested.

Anyway, onto BIAB 2....

A confession - I'm a numptie. No surprise there of course but to clarify, idiot breath here thought, having undershot the pre-boil target quite dramatically, he should add something - and quick. Hunting around found and chucked in 150g of candi sugar - surplus from a Diablo made last June (8.5% by the way and a hell of a pint!). To be honest, I've been keen to use this up for a while - becoming a sticky nightmare.

Of course what I hadn't realised (but do now) is that you don't check gravity from a 'boiling' sample, a bit like you don't check volume (see first BIAB) ! Only registered when I later saw the then-cooled original sample sat on the window sill with the hydro still sat in it - reading practically bang on what i was originally trying to achieve.

The effect of this ignorance was a post boil of 1066 - Hasty(ings) battle class!

Mentioned 'floaters' previously and concerns 'my way' might have led to an infection but on inspection tonight - pre-bottling, I think this is simply sediment from the grain that has escaped my grain bag. Same bag as BIAB 1 but 50% more grain obviously and it was bloody heavy!! Probably wasn't as careful as the 1st time around.

The aroma is great but the trial sample just didn't seem as 'fresh' as BIAB 1 - I think that may be the candi sugar effect. Came in at 1010 by the way so that suggests somewhere above 7.35% plus bottle carbing - 7.5%? First BIAB came in at 6.3% + carb.

So lessons I've learned 2nd time around????

1 'My way' seems to work for me. Enjoy the process but if I can include a couple of hours at the local in between and whilst the brew cools at bit - that's the boy for me!
2 Need to concentrate more on the grain handling process to cut down on potential debris in the FV
3 Patience (whilst taking readings) is a virtue - not my forte at all!

Best wishes to everyone for 2016 - health and wealth wise. Let's hope the powers that be can keep a lid on the ever increasing s%$t that seems to be happening out there!

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:07 pm

OK - thought I'd do an update.

Concerned about my cooling method on this one - as you may recall, but all is well. Couldn't resist sampling a very cloudy bottle tonight even though bottled on the 4th and only into the garage to chill from Saturday. Have to say it is my best brew - kit or BIAB, and I am very pleased with both the flavour, the aroma and the bitterness. I wouldn't have any problem offering this brew to anyone to sample.

Will make one final post in a month or so and, with a bit of guidance will perhaps try and post some piccies. Only bothering as there seems to have been quite a bit of interest on this topic - bit blown away to be honest.

PS 3rd BIAB post following once I post this.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:08 am

Meatymc wrote: I wouldn't have any problem offering this brew to anyone to sample.
Meaty,
This is what we want!
I`m first in line for a sample and Monkeybrew is second! :D :D

WA

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Well I suppose I should have known better WA but it would be interesting to see what you think - you guys are way ahead of me!

I've seen yours and MB's posts on sampling and would be interested to know how you normally send them? Even better, we're (Northallerton that is) on the main East Coast rail line if you're passing!

This isn't an open invitation everyone - only have 24 bottles and 12 of those will go into stock. I may possibly be willing to let 2 go though - MB?

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:46 pm

Having just enjoyed a mighty fine bottle from WA, I thought a comparison was in order so opened a bottle of this one.

Well totally different - but then again, a totally different recipe. What struck me immediately was a background note that I can safely put down to the candi sugar I threw in thinking I was nowhere near my target OG - an odd choice for an IPA addition I know but it needed using up - what a tosser! It's almost cloying just like it was in the Diablo I cooked it for - what a pain in the arse that process was.

It's still early days on this beer - only bottled on 4th January, but the jury is still out so to speak. Hopefully WA will give an honest review once I pluck up courage to send him a bottle to try.