1st biab help needed

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
emyrjones88
Steady Drinker

1st biab help needed

Post by emyrjones88 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:50 pm

Hi all

After eight years of homebrewing I'm finally getting ready to do my first all grain :twisted: weather permitting this weekend.

I have a 50l boiler ready and I'm planning on doing a full volume mash.

One question, I have bought a summer lighting recipe kit however the instructions (picture attached) doesn't cover biab, I was wondering if somebody could calculate/guess how much water I should use for a full volume mash taking into account the reduced efficiency, I still want to end up with a 5% beer.

Thanks in advance
Tomos
Attachments
DSC_0097.JPG

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Re: 1st biab help needed

Post by deanrpwaacs » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:26 am

Looking at the recipe i would say about 28ltrs . I would just follow the recipe then see what u end up with in the fv at the end . If its short you can top it up to 23ltrs and you will then have an idea how far out you are for future brews .
Drinking ,Arrogant Bsteward,Black Wit,Cream Rye Stout,
Conditioning,Tally Ho,Spitfire
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt
Coming up ,Old Spec Hen,Red IPA,Mega Hop Thing,Larkins Chidingstone,maybe a venture into Lager.
Love hops drink beer have a look here http://uk.ebid.net/items/ramengltddean

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:16 am

It does depend a little on how much 'dead space' there is in your kit, whether you'll 'squeeze' the grain bag when draining and how vigorous your boil will be, but if I were brewing that recipe I'd start with around 33 Litres.

I find Graham Wheelers Beer Engine software very useful for converting recipes to BIAB. I feed in the ingredient list and it calculates the total liquor required. If I start with that I usually end up with the right amount and SG at the end. The software is available for free download from http://www.practicalbrewing.co.uk/main/ ... eerengine/ and is linked to in the EXTRAS section of this (JBK) site.

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:45 am

The recipe you attached isn't the most detailed. It doesn't state what the 23 litre brew length is i.e amount in to packaging, volume at flameout etc etc.

Using BIABacus I typed in your ingredients listed and if you want to hit the OG 1.049 (90min mash / boil) you’ll want to start around the below:

Total Water Needed (TWN): 37.24 L = 9.84 G
Volume into Boil (VIB): 34.16 L = 9.02 G @ 1.037
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 25.08 L = 6.63 G @ 1.049
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 21.5 L = 5.68 G @ 1.049
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 19.91 L = 5.26 G @ 1.012 assuming apparent attenuation of 75 %

Obviously that’s just an estimate and your equipment, efficiency and technique will be different. But it gives you a base to start from. You should have a look at the BIABacus calculator, it’s a really great tool!

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:38 pm

I also use the BIABacus. It's much simpler than it appears. For your first few brews just let it automatically estimate your efficiency and losses as it will be close.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:42 am

deadspace and boil off or evaporation rate are the 2 unknowns with any new boil pot, and if brewing outside ambient temps and wind can effect the evaporation.

All you can do really is guess reasonable values to estimate the correct volume to use,
iirc a kilo of grain will absorb 2.2l of liquor, So when you remove the grain bag after the mash it will take circa 2.2l of liquor with it, weighing the damp grain mass with luggage suspension scales will help confirm the loss of liquor due to grain absorption ;) 1l of water is just about 1kg in mass.
so if you using a 4kg grain bill expect to loose 8-9l of liquor when you remove the grain.
Yes the grain bag will triple+ in weight on the way out ;)

Then you have the deadspace if any in the boil kettle, which can be estimated by a simple water drain and measuring any remaining volume not drained.

Then there is the loss due to hop absorbtion and trub, which at about 200ml per 100g of hops is only really valid if the calculated volume is greater than The deadspace Or if you bag and remove the hops..

So Target volume + boil off volume + volume absorbed by grain + deadspace (+ hop/trub volume if relevant) So
23 +4 +9 +Deapspace = 36l+deadspace to start with.. :)

But the actual result will indicate any error in the estimated boil off, if you boil off more you can liquor back with cold water to hit the target volume,

And if you underestimate the boil of rate you can boil just a little longer it will impact on the final bitterness as your hop utilisation will probably increase a tad but i wouldnt let that wory you,

After a couple of brews you will know the nuances of your kit and will be able to predict the boil of rate with a high degree of confidence ;)

But imho volume targets are secondary to gravity targets, and if the gravity post boil is within the target range I dont bother adjusting the volume ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Fil wrote:

But imho volume targets are secondary to gravity targets, and if the gravity post boil is within the target range I dont bother adjusting the volume ;)
That's what I did starting off. Once you get the wort in the FV take a gravity reading and go from there.

emyrjones88
Steady Drinker

Post by emyrjones88 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi All

Thank you for the advice (a great response from the forum as usual) I'm going to try with 36L and see what I end up with, not particularly bothered if I end up short or long on volume/gravity on my first attempt.

Bigchris, I received one of your bags for Christmas. Looks well made. Looking forward to trying it!

Anyways I'll upload some photographs and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

emyrjones88
Steady Drinker

Post by emyrjones88 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:14 pm

Hi All

Had a good brew day on Sunday (cooking a roast turkey at the same time!) decided to start with 35 litres of water.

First mistake strike temperature of 70.8c gave me a initial mash temperature of 68c instead of the 66c
DSC_0117.JPG
Celotex box worked well lost 1.1c over the 90 min mash
DSC_0118.JPG
Brewing assistant
DSC_0121.JPG
Good rolling boil
DSC_0123.JPG
Ended up with approximately 25L at a gravity of 1048
DSC_0127.JPG
Took ages to cool without a chiller (nearly 24 hrs) hopefully I have avoided infection and the extra time with the hops wont adversely affect the taste, defiantly will get one for the next time.

Thanks for your help
Tomos

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:23 pm

That looks like a great start. What help do you need? I'd suggest a no-chill cube for keeping the wort safe while cooling if you don't want the expense of an immersion chiller.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Cracking brew day!! Nice clear wort too.

I tried cooling my 33l pot in the sink with ice and that took ages. By the next brew I made a copper immersion chiller, they are great!! Down to pitching temp in 20 mins.