What better way to introduce myself...

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Fifi

What better way to introduce myself...

Post by Fifi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:00 pm

...than with the obligatory "is my beer infected?" thread!

Brewed a somewhat by-the-numbers wheat beer just under two weeks ago and fermented with Bulldog brew's Bavarian Wheat beer yeast. Everything seemed to go ok, kept the temp in 23-24°C to boost the flavour profile, and finally got around to bottling it today. Looks absolutely fine, smells fine (for a freshly fermented wheat beer) but it doesn't half taste tart.

I've been brewing for a year now and the only confirmed infection I've had so far was unmistakable; the beer quickly became physically undrinkable. Now, this wheat beer is nowhere near that bad but it is nonetheless much more sour than expected. Again, there was absolutely no sign of a pellicle or anything like that.

I have heard wheat beers can be a bit sour when young. I'm not particularly 'invested' in this beer but obviously no one wants to have to chuck beer if they can help it. Any thoughts?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: What better way to introduce myself...

Post by Fil » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 pm

what temps did the yeast suggest you ferment at?? 23-4c sounds awfully hot, and you have possibly got some extra esters and some fussels as a byproduct of the hot fast n active fermentation.

just googled the yeast http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... 32149.html

if you get 'banannas' from the yeast when fermented at the recommended 21c that backs up my suspicions..

BTW Welcome to Jims ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fifi

Post by Fifi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:38 am

Yes it was on the high side but my experience with other yeasts of this type is that you need to ferment at around 23/24 to get that estery punch. Of course, this one could be different...

To be honest, the more I think about it the more I suspect it's just a lacto infection.

Oh well, I've been wanting to try sour beer of late so I suppose I'll avail myself of the opportunity :D

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:30 am

First off, welcome. :)

I've not used much in the way of exotic yeasts, but beers can mellow out with aging, so the only hope is to wait and see. If it is lacto it'll only get worse though.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter