Just a therory

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Just a therory

Post by Mjr6313 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 am

If I make 5 gallons of beer then split into 5 1 gallon jerry cans for no chill then pitch 5 separate yeasts that would be 5 different beers. But how different would they be, not taking into account any dry hopping and such. Has any body experimented with this it must have happend.
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Just a therory

Post by IPA » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:23 am

Why not try it and post the results ? Thats how the hobby advances !
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:05 am

Only areas I see no chill as a having issues are end clarity and other airborne stuff getting established before you introduce your own yeast, but used extensively in Aus for obvious reasons so we know it works

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Never had a real issue with no chill and clarity. As for airborne bacteria, its a sealed container untill you open it once its chilled then it becomes just like emptying your boiler and using a chiller, infact id say theres more risk as you have two open vessels and takes about 20 minutes to drop beer from a boiler into an fv. With no chill i can drop my beer in and have my yeqst pitched and sealed back up in under 5 minutes

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:09 pm

Very different depending on yeast, but fairly expensive to do. Years ago working at the "b word" they did the same beer 4 times with different yeasts - English, American, tripel, something else. Lots of very characterful yeasts available so it'd be easy to brew an english pale ale, american pale ale, saison, belgian ale, lager all from the same wort.

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:21 pm

No chill is my only option for now, I'm not concerned with infection as if needed I could ferment in the Jerry cans (I know there would be considerable amount of sediment in the bottom but its just an exercise) and due to the size of the containers I could split the yeast between two or more but change the dry hopping.
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:53 am

Most of that 2008 article or at least that portion of it that relates to No Chill and clear beer is dubious at best.

I've No Chilled without impact the clarity of my beer and if you want further support for No Chill head over to the Aussie forum, however No Chill does effect the way hops are used. Again head over to AHB for info on the effect on hop forward beers, I found no noticeable effect when making the likes of Stouts.

Atb. Aamcle

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:02 pm

As long as you are scrupulous in your sanitation it makes for an interesting experiment. It is very easy to get that wrong, ask me how I know.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:33 pm

When I worked in a small one man brewery I spent 90% of my time cleaning and sanitizing it became quite therapeutic except when it got to minus 5 and I was elbow deep In water. I think I have that down my problem is I seem the make both beer and wine quicker than I can drink it. Most of the people still have the fear of home brewed drinks.
And I'm still looking into hop additions its like anything else people have their own opinions of what works best for them but different people obtain different results. But that's the fun part I can experiment as I learn.

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Just a therory

Post by ciderhead » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:36 pm

Some more recently published bedtime reading.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/02/09/a-year ... cret-xbmt/

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 am

I always found that a bit confusing the 10 -15 mins hop additions should be FWH as the mash is being transferred but I'm BIAB so is that just as I'm heating to boil and should i just use noble hops of can i use citrus and floral. Judging by the comments at the bottom of the article again its a matter of opinion and experiment.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:11 pm

Mjr6313 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 am
should i just use noble hops of can i use citrus and floral. Judging by the comments at the bottom of the article again its a matter of opinion and experiment.
I wouldn't waste the delicate aromas of a so called Noble Hop or indeed any expensive hop for bittering. Far better to use a high alpha "workhorse" for bittering saving the others for very late and whirlpool/steeping.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:23 pm

I think I'm going to have to buy a white lab coat, send my family away for a week, put on the phantom of the opera sound track (after downloading it from somewhere) then get to making some serious experimenting and note taking

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:35 pm

Mj,
Sounds good so far! :D
If you don`t mind me asking, what is a `Therory`? #-o :D :D

WA

Keep us posted on your results please.
You may turn into Walter White once you get your Lab Coat. =D>