Recirculation pump

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
helmetHeid
Tippler

Recirculation pump

Post by helmetHeid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:33 pm

I was thinking about adding a recirculation pump to my kettle (long story short, I don't think I'll bother - I'm all about having simple setups just now). But in my search for pumps I found this bad boy:

https://www.asap-supplies.com/pumps/man ... ump-506713

Really thought about buying it. If I'm brewing outside in the summer or it means I don't need any electrical hookup, plus it's just pretty cool. It's got 1/2 inch BSP fittings which are nice and standard (my kettle tap is 1/2 inch BSP).

Just sharing in the unlikely event that someone out there is looking for a really sweet manual pump for their wort.

LeeH
Under the Table

Recirculation pump

Post by LeeH » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Boiling wort with that?

I really wouldn’t....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Re: Recirculation pump

Post by Heron1952 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:20 pm

err no, outside extension lead and a food safe pump :-)
aka Rhys

helmetHeid
Tippler

Post by helmetHeid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:13 am

Ha, yeah, I figured this wasn't going to be very popular. I live off-grid these days so I need to be careful with my water and electricity use - particularly this time of year when the solar isn't doing so much. I'm always interested in manually operated stuff, or things that run on 12v.

Anyway, like I say, I'm not going to add the pump, just sharing incase someone else out there is counting their amp hours or really into low fi kit. I'm settling on no pump because im trying to keep my process simple just now. I brew at work so get to geek out on process there, at home im all about one pot, simplicity and ease of use just now.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:54 am

Loads and 12v FOOD SAFE pumps on the market on eBay and home brew shops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:14 am

If you're doing stuff manually then a jug or bucket will work as well as that for recirculation.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

helmetHeid
Tippler

Post by helmetHeid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I use two jugs just now to do a sort of vorlauf, and try to clean the wort up as much as I can before boiling.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Up to 80c means 80c max, all pumps are rated for a reason and chances are either the body will melt or the components will fry...

helmetHeid
Tippler

Post by helmetHeid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:58 pm

Aye, you'd only use the pump during your rests, maybe the mash out, but you wouldn't need to use it once the grains are out of the pot. I've got a braumeister up at work I brew 50litre small batches on some times, and the pump automatically cuts out at a similar temperature because of its heat rating. Saying that, this manual one is cast iron and brass, so it'd probably be fine.

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:56 am

I'd be far more worried about what is going to leech out of the cheap chinese cast iron and brass when hot water passes through it than any damage to the pump itself.

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:47 pm

That's what I'd call a "wobble" pump. Generally used for transferring oil out of drums and the like. We have them installed on our diesel driven fire pump engines for filling the sumps during oil changes (400 litres). They're very slow, hard work and not very reliable.
Probably ok for transferring your water into the mash tun if you're off grid and need some exercise. ;-)