Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3377
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: South Wales UK. Soon to be out of the EU

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by WalesAles » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:42 pm

Other avenue i would check is all equipment coming into contact on the cold side - pipework, valves etc.
Cheers Rob,
Here is my pipework, valves etc.......... :D
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78344

Brewing is done in my utility room, not in the beer shed.
Easy access to water, gas etc.

WA

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 am

Are you grain or kit brewing? I’m talking about the pipework and equipment after your kettle, pretty much, that’s if you’re BIABing.
WalesAles wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:13 pm
Robwalkeragain wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:42 pm

Other avenue i would check is all equipment coming into contact on the cold side - pipework, valves etc.
Cheers Rob,
Here is my pipework, valves etc.......... :D
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78344

Brewing is done in my utility room, not in the beer shed.
Easy access to water, gas etc.

WA

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table
Posts: 1791
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:52 pm
Location: Wombwell (South Yorkshire)

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Stick to cans pal, leave the grains to us big boys..... :=P

Only kidding Wales, better luck next time you do it..

BB
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2019......... 416
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3377
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: South Wales UK. Soon to be out of the EU

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by WalesAles » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 am
Are you grain or kit brewing? I’m talking about the pipework and equipment after your kettle, pretty much, that’s if you’re BIABing.
Rob,
My grain brewing is BIAB.
I make a few Kits now and again.
My kettle is 1.7lts Tesco finest, which carries my hot water for the Kits.
I need to buy a new Induction Hob.
BarnsleyBrewer wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:35 pm
Stick to cans pal, leave the grains to us big boys..... :=P

Only kidding Wales, better luck next time you do it..

BB
BB,
I knew you`d pop up on here to give me grief! #-o
Probably Gaz next giving more grief! #-o

WA

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:06 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 pm
Robwalkeragain wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 am
Are you grain or kit brewing? I’m talking about the pipework and equipment after your kettle, pretty much, that’s if you’re BIABing.
Rob,
My grain brewing is BIAB.
I make a few Kits now and again.
My kettle is 1.7lts Tesco finest, which carries my hot water for the Kits.
I need to buy a new Induction Hob.
BarnsleyBrewer wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:35 pm
Stick to cans pal, leave the grains to us big boys..... :=P

Only kidding Wales, better luck next time you do it..

BB
BB,
I knew you`d pop up on here to give me grief! #-o
Probably Gaz next giving more grief! #-o

WA
By kettle i mean your BIAB boiler, haha. Although every brewer knows that the brewer doesn’t brew before the brewer brews a brew for the brewer.

what i mean to say is, inspect any pipework you have after the boil, including your boiler tap!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3377
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: South Wales UK. Soon to be out of the EU

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by WalesAles » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:06 pm

By kettle i mean your BIAB boiler, haha. Although every brewer knows that the brewer doesn’t brew before the brewer brews a brew for the brewer.

what i mean to say is, inspect any pipework you have after the boil, including your boiler tap!
Rob,
Thanks for the reply! :D

MY BOILER DOESN`T HAVE A TAP! (OR PIPEWORK). #-o

WA

Sent without Tapertork.

User avatar
wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: 70 mile from my favourite pub

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by wanus » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:27 am

Hello WA.I`ve not been lurking on ere for a while so have just read this post.Sorry to hear about your drainer and the grief BB has given you [-X

Anyway what size tog was the quilt you threw over the FV? :whistle: :whistle:
FV 1:18l Abdij
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1:Empty
Demi 2:Empty
Maturing:Allendale Wolf (clone)
Bottle conditioning:Abdij
Drinking:Mcewans
Planning:Allendale Wolf (clone)

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3377
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: South Wales UK. Soon to be out of the EU

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by WalesAles » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 pm

[quote

Anyway what size tog was the quilt you threw over the FV? :whistle: :whistle:
[/quote]

Wainie,
I used a Summer quilt instead of the Winter quilt. That`s where the problem must be. #-o
I threw the cat off the quilt and there were enough loose cat hairs on there to keep a Yeti warm! :D

WA

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by orlando » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:55 am

Neither of us has had much luck of late. :roll: Identifying your problem I think it is one of two main candidates and they are related. First of all dried yeast does not need aerating, as has already been pointed out. Whisking air into the wort does indeed whisk in whatever is in the air. Now, if you have enough yeast pitched it can overwhelm whatever else is in there by sheer numbers. Problem is Chris White, of White Labs fame, has suggested pitching without hydration can kill up to 50% (see his Brewers Publications Yeast book for reference). I grant you Lallemand have recently suggested it doesn't matter but they're in the business of selling simplicity to encourage buying. Oh, by the way, yeast doesn't actually require oxygen to ferment. , it needs it for other reasons, particularly if you are looking to harvest and repitch wet yeasts and I wouldn't brew without doing it for those reasons, but I use pure O2 in a closed system to avoid the atmosphere adding stuff I don't want. I'm not convinced liquouring back was your problem either, however I would use RO water or its equivalent as your tap water may contain high levels of alkalinity raising the pH of the wort, not so good for the now potentially compromised yeast either.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: I Am A Patriot (Lacons Patriot clone)
Conditioning:
Drinking: From Russia With Love (RIS), Peaches, Reasons To Be Beerful, Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Up Next: Twist & Stout, Reasons To Be Beerful (Part Two)
Planning: Autumn drinking Beer.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3377
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: South Wales UK. Soon to be out of the EU

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by WalesAles » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 pm

orlando,
Thanks for the reply.
You (and lots of others) are always looking after me and holding my hand as I stumble from one mess to another. :D
Will this Water Report show anything?
https://www.welshwater.com/en/In-Your-A ... ality.aspx
Means nothing to me, but you big boys might see something! :D

WA

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Total Failure!!! Where did I go wrong?........

Post by orlando » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:57 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 pm
orlando,
Thanks for the reply.
You (and lots of others) are always looking after me and holding my hand as I stumble from one mess to another. :D
Will this Water Report show anything?
https://www.welshwater.com/en/In-Your-A ... ality.aspx
Means nothing to me, but you big boys might see something! :D

WA
Haven't looked at it, but it won't be a brewers water report, get one from wally brew, if you are really serious about water treatment. We can talk then. :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: I Am A Patriot (Lacons Patriot clone)
Conditioning:
Drinking: From Russia With Love (RIS), Peaches, Reasons To Be Beerful, Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Up Next: Twist & Stout, Reasons To Be Beerful (Part Two)
Planning: Autumn drinking Beer.

Post Reply