History of brewing recommendations?

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
CJR
Under the Table

History of brewing recommendations?

Post by CJR » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi there,

Are there any books people recommend on the history of brewing, beer culture and the like? I've got a lot of brewing books, but very little on brewing history.

Cheers,

CJR
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.

pads72

Re: History of brewing recommendations?

Post by pads72 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:57 pm

'Radical Brewing' by Randy Mosher is a pretty interesting mix of history of beers styles and recipes, I'd recommend it

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Martyn Cornell's books. He does a great blog too, as does Ron Pattinson.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:10 pm

The closest I can get is IPA by Chris Steele. It's a very good read and goes back to the early 18th century - only as regards IPA of course.

EDIT: Sorry, Mitch not Chris.
Best wishes

Dave

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:50 pm

'Old British Beers and How to Make Them' is a good place to start, along with anything by Clive La Pensee, I've just ordered his 'The Historical Companion to House-brewing', which I've wanted for a while.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Eadweard wrote:Martyn Cornell's books. He does a great blog too, as does Ron Pattinson.
I have Martyn Cornell's "Amber, Gold and Black: The History of Britain's Great Beers" on its way to me from Amazon. It looks very interesting and gets some good reviews.

CJR
Under the Table

Post by CJR » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:08 am

Cheers everybody. :)

I've already got Radical Brewing as well as, thanks to Christmas Amazon vouchers, a number of other books for my brew shelf. I'll take a look at these others too.
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:17 pm

jimp2003 wrote:
Eadweard wrote:Martyn Cornell's books. He does a great blog too, as does Ron Pattinson.
I have Martyn Cornell's "Amber, Gold and Black: The History of Britain's Great Beers" on its way to me from Amazon. It looks very interesting and gets some good reviews.
I was about to buy that from Amazon but couldn't get free postage so was a bit miffed and didn't buy, did I make a mistake?

To the OP, I recommend "Tasting Beer" by Randy Mosher, excellent for both history (nutshell variety) and er how to taste beer. One I think is quite an important one is the new book by Ron Pattinson "The Home Brewer's Guide To Vintage Beer", which is a result of his extensive research in to actual Brewer's Journals and explodes a number of myths in brewing (some of which are repeated by Mosher) with the added advantage of translating real old recipes into ones that can be followed by homebrewers with measurements for our brew length.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:12 am

Someone bought me Pete Brown's "Man Walks into a Pub" for Xmas. It's quite amusing. Maybe not a balanced historical tome, but I learned a lot about the social history of beer and drinking (and the temperance movement which seems to be a bugbear of his). I quite enjoyed it as it's a book you can read all the way though in one go. I think he's written a number of books on the general subject (or possibly the same book a number of times).

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:17 am

Ian Marchant's The Longest Crawl is one of the most evocative books on all things beer, related to the iconic pub crawl. His version is an epic saga and one that will entertain any aficionado of all the things they love about pub's and beer. At less than £3 a bargain (second hand).
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:32 am

"Radical Brewing" is a good thing. I have read it. many interesting tips