Keg question

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Midlife
Piss Artist

Keg question

Post by Midlife » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:05 am

I have for some time use two kegs in a converted fridge for my beer dispensing, I use an adjustable faucet and 1m of 3/16 beer line ... the question I have is every now and then I get a brew with a foaming issue.

One issue is, I can get a perfectly good beer that holds pressure (i.e. doesn't increase and needs topping up with C02 when dispensing), it is a very clear beer, but after a while, approx. halfway through the keg, its starts to foam excessively when dispensing?

The second issue is recently, using a Lalbrew yeast, although it fermented out correctly to its FG, after I have dropped it into the keg it starts making pressure, to the point that no C02 is required when I dispense. The beer is clear but foams allot. I usually have to fill 3 glasses to let it settle?

I am a bit baffled with it, as generally I don't get foaming and pour a good pint straight from the faucet.

Cheers.

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Keg question

Post by IPA » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:43 am

Your problem sounds like you are not allowing your beer to finish fermentation and are relying on an fg calculated by a recipe based figure. Try leaving it a few days longer before kegging.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are
Because those that mind don't matter
And those that matter don't mind

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:42 am

Thanks for the reply... using the same yeast next so will be more thorough.

I also did some more research on the archives and realised I haven't changed the dip tube valves for a while and this may be letting gas by. Because on some brews one of the foaming issues is when its 50% through, and then its starts. I would assume as the beer is clear and fermented out and needs regular gas to feed dispensing, so a gas pressure bypass problem in the keg system?

Cheers.

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:26 pm

Are you just topping up CO2 when it doesn't flow?

You need constant fixed pressure on top to maintain the carbonation.

If you are using a regulator what PSI is it set to??

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:56 am

Aside form the current couple of foaming issues, I keep the pressure at the right psi to temperature for the type of beer on the regulator. If i am not using the beer for a while, i disconnect the C02 and put a gauge on, and the pressure is normally maintained. Then reconnect when i use.

I am thinking at the moment i have poor seals on the dip tube? Which may explain foaming halfway through using the keg on stable clear beer?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:58 pm

Are you using cornies? If so I reccomend that you use a float takeoff
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are
Because those that mind don't matter
And those that matter don't mind

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:27 pm

Yes cornies… i just googled the float system. Looks good, i will order with my next brew batch. Cheers.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:45 pm

Is the problem with the same keg or both?
There's a slim chance your beer out dip tube may have a pin hole in it. I had one when I first got my kegs, one keg would pour fine but the other was at least half a glass of foam. Eventually found a small hole just below beer level so it was drawing co2 from the space above the beer as well as the beer itself from the bottom of the tube.
Just a thought

Cheers Tom

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:19 pm

Its both kegs, when dispensing clear beer and pressure is maintained. I have bought some new o rings, but will check the dip tubes. Cheers.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:17 pm

If the beer out dip tubes in both kegs have holes that would be very rare ☹️

Cheers Tom