Bag in a box dispensing (Beer Engine)

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Re: Bag in a box dispensing (Beer Engine)

Post by Dads_Ale » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Just tried this system with 5L bags and Angram beer engine and so far works a treat. I am running a trial to see how long the beer is viable for once connected.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:44 pm

The only issue I had when I tried this system out was that while the first half or so was fine, the latter few pints were a bit on the flat side. There's no easy way to replenish the condition once it goes.

Having said that, the quicker you drink it, the better....

Welcome to the forum, by the way Dads_Ale - first post eh? :)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:39 pm

[quote="Jim"]The only issue I had when I tried this system out was that while the first half or so was fine, the latter few pints were a bit on the flat side. There's no easy way to replenish the condition once it goes.

Welcome to the forum, by the way Dads_Ale - first post eh? :)[/quote]

Thanks, have to do a few more to catch up :D

I was worried about losing condition which is why I went for the 5L bags. I have drawn off about 4 pints tonight and will try a pint a night over the next few days and see what happens.
The bright beers I have bought from breweries in a bag usually last 3 days at most before they go flat.

I usually bottle all my beer but this will give me another option so I can at least fill one bag per brew and have a few pint 'just like it is down the local' :) I must say it is quite satisfying pouring your own beer from a beer engine.

Nofolkandchance

Post by Nofolkandchance » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:22 am

Jim wrote:The only issue I had when I tried this system out was that while the first half or so was fine, the latter few pints were a bit on the flat side. There's no easy way to replenish the condition once it goes.

Welcome to the forum, by the way Dads_Ale - first post eh? :)
This system is only good for use with a beer engine when you only need a very gentle natural fizz. I've had beer in over a month that still pulls nice with condition in. I bag a couple of points above FG and store at 13c.

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Well the trial with the 'bag in a box' and beer engine went well (apart from a duff bag). They were only 5l bags so they only lasted 4 days each 8) . But the condition remained consistent throughout. One was primed and one not. I will probably go with priming in the future as this one seemed a bit more 'fizzy'. Will definitely be putting some of my next brew in a bag.

I am now trying a 12 litre plastic barrel with the beer engine. Have hooked it up to my Midget Widget to try and avoid removing the cap as I want to see how long the condition will last. First few pints are good the problem will be trying not to drink it all too quickly :D .

Badger

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:36 pm

Dads_Ale wrote:Well the trial with the 'bag in a box' and beer engine went well (apart from a duff bag). They were only 5l bags so they only lasted 4 days each 8) . But the condition remained consistent throughout. One was primed and one not. I will probably go with priming in the future as this one seemed a bit more 'fizzy'. Will definitely be putting some of my next brew in a bag.

I am now trying a 12 litre plastic barrel with the beer engine. Have hooked it up to my Midget Widget to try and avoid removing the cap as I want to see how long the condition will last. First few pints are good the problem will be trying not to drink it all too quickly :D .

Badger
Nice one. If you ever go the cornelius keg route, here's an idea for attaching a cornie gas quick disconnect to a plastic pressure barrel (cheaply!).

Cornie disconnect to pressure barrel.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Nofolkandchance

Post by Nofolkandchance » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Following on from my post on 28th march were now 20 days on, so almost 3 weeks later
I'm about 3/4 into the 20 ltr bag and heres a pic of the pint and it's still beautifully conditioned. No finings were added to the bag

Untitled by Pabzki, on Flickr

lufcaidan

Post by lufcaidan » Mon May 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi all,

I've been seriously looking into these and am just about ready to take the plunge. Before I do I had a couple of questions in order to try and save a bit of money:

Question the first, do i really need to buy a pair of those weird pliers for fitting the taps to the bags? http://www.baginboxonline.co.uk/buyit4.html or can i get away without them?

Secondly, I'm reluctant to pay £3.55 each for one of the 20l boxes when the minimum order qty is 10. I'd only really want to buy one and then just re-use it with new bags (which I'd be happy to buy in bulk). Does anybody have any spares which they'd be willing to sell to me? Going forward I'd like to use a more robust enclosure for these such as one of those plastic storage boxes, but that would be tricky without knowing the dimensions of the boxes.

Cheers

Nofolkandchance

Post by Nofolkandchance » Wed May 14, 2014 10:11 pm

lufcaidan wrote:Hi all,

I've been seriously looking into these and am just about ready to take the plunge. Before I do I had a couple of questions in order to try and save a bit of money:

Question the first, do i really need to buy a pair of those weird pliers for fitting the taps to the bags? http://www.baginboxonline.co.uk/buyit4.html or can i get away without them?

Secondly, I'm reluctant to pay £3.55 each for one of the 20l boxes when the minimum order qty is 10. I'd only really want to buy one and then just re-use it with new bags (which I'd be happy to buy in bulk). Does anybody have any spares which they'd be willing to sell to me? Going forward I'd like to use a more robust enclosure for these such as one of those plastic storage boxes, but that would be tricky without knowing the dimensions of the boxes.

Cheers
No. Don't buy the pliers, you don't need them. Don't fill the bag to the brim, leave a bit of space then squeeze the air out and just hold the reinforced top of the bag between the fingers of both hands and push the tap firmly into place with both thumbs. You'll feel two clicks then it's in all the way.

If you ring up you can get a sample sent out (that's what I did) free of charge if you ask nicely :D tell them you're very interested so want to try before you buy.

lufcaidan

Post by lufcaidan » Sat May 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks for the tips! I'll give them a buzz to try and get a free sample.