Amount of sugar for batch priming?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
TempTest

Amount of sugar for batch priming?

Post by TempTest » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:01 am

Hello,

I have a 5 (UK) Gallon (~23 L) brew almost ready to bottle. I will batch prime. It is a Youngs Harvest Pilsner Lager. I'm getting very conflicting advice on how much sugar to add for the priming solution. Any advice?

The 'average' of all of the different answers I've found (kit instructions, John Palmer book, online calculators, etc) would seem to be about 100g... Does this seem right? I'm very wary of making a set of bottle bombs! Please help :oops:

Thank you.

bluezephyr

Re: Amount of sugar for batch priming?

Post by bluezephyr » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:26 am

I've tried to batch prime but I always get better results when I prime each bottle, I have a sugar dispenser in my kitchen which dispenses about a teaspoon. Never had a problem with my beers regarding infections or bad tastes, i condition at about 16-18 degrees and never had exploding bottles.
Ives been told before 100g is about the right amount.

When people have had bottle bombs, what sort of temps are they conditioning at? I thought it was more a case of bottling too early?

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:31 am

I use 100g of brewing sugar to batch prime 5 gallons and have not had any problems. This should give a good degree of carbonation.
As a safe guard I usually use a few 330ml bottle so as can keep check on them as the beer conditions. I open them at various times over the two weeks I have the bottles sat indoors before moving to somewhere cooler.

TempTest

Post by TempTest » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:12 pm

Perfect - 100g it is. I can always use more or less in subsequent brews to adjust carbonation to my preference and beer style. This is my first brew!

If only I could be sure I could bottle this weekend... Even though it's now been 13 days I still see some airlock activity. Only issue is if I don't bottle today I don't have another chance for 2 weeks. :?

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Give this calculator a try, it is a handy one to keep as a favourite,

http://kotmf.com/beer/2012/priming-sugar-calculator/

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde