Polypin tap size

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Scalli

Polypin tap size

Post by Scalli » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:33 pm

I know I am getting ahead of myself here as I haven't brewed anything yet (though have just put in an order with Malt Miller) but want to get everything into place first. I have a beer engine and have measured the inlet at 1/2". How close in size is this to a polypin tap? will I need to use any kind of reducer or is the tap pretty close?

Gonna nip into Morley Home Brew in the week to pick up a pin, what kind of hose is best? I am hoping a straight run of 1/2" hose of some kind will do the job. I have clamped a length of car heater hose onto the engine to make sure it works but obviosly this is not going to be any good for beer. A link to where I can buy the hose would be great.

Sorry for all the questions.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Polypin tap size

Post by Dennis King » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Might depend on the make of beer engine. I have an Angram and can run a tube straight from the pin to the beer engine.

DaddyLouLou

Post by DaddyLouLou » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:07 am

From my PolyPin I've got 1/2" (internal) pipe, with some PTFE tape to aid getting a good seal.

The tape is "drinking water safe", so it must be OK for beer too.

Scalli

Post by Scalli » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Cheers guys, what type of hose should I use, is normal PVC OK?

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:28 pm

Scalli wrote:Cheers guys, what type of hose should I use, is normal PVC OK?
Must be food grade.

Harry Home Brew

Post by Harry Home Brew » Mon May 12, 2014 9:59 am

Hi there
Just a quick note about polypins .. you just need a Vitop connector to work with your beer engine. I stock these along with poly pins 5.10 & 20 ltr poly pins and replacement bags. I have found this the best way to keep and mature beers in the poly pins as they dont let air in to spoil your beer. You can re use them but at a price for a replacement bag its just not worth the time and hassle.
They are for ales and ciders and not for priming in.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon May 12, 2014 10:14 am

harry, i think you're confusing polypins (or cubitainers) for bag-in-boxes. the vitop connector is only needed for bag-in-boxes with their push taps. polypins are fully reusable and much more substantial. you can also prime in them (though not to the same levels as bottles and kegs)
dazzled, doused in gin..