Storing my pressure barrels outside

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Freddie'sDad

Storing my pressure barrels outside

Post by Freddie'sDad » Sat May 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum, been lurking a while, and whilst new to homebrewing, have plenty of experience drinking beer :) My question is this, I have 3 pressure barrels but no where cool to store them, I have been storing them outside just covered in a black bin liner to keep out the light, and over the cooler months this has seemed to be ok, but now it's getting a bit warmer I need some advice on how to insulate them, does anyone else store theirs outside? Do you use lagging to insulate your barrels, is it ok to leave the beer out side and then chill in a jug in the fridge? I don't want to ruin my beer. Thanks in advance

och29
Piss Artist

Re: Storing my pressure barrels outside

Post by och29 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:55 pm

I tend to make at least 2 cornie kegs worth of beer each brew. The first keg gets stored in the bar inside and the other is left hooked up to CO2 in the shed. I haven't noticed any off flavours in either beer. As long as the light doesn't get to it, it should be fine. Keeping them insulated will help stop big changes in temp which would be good.

Bottom line, they'll be fine as long as the light doesn't get to the beer.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

Freddie'sDad

Post by Freddie'sDad » Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks for that och29, guess it should be ok then, I will try and find some cheap insulating material to get them covered with, was thinking cold water tank jacket or similar

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sat May 10, 2014 10:24 pm

I use pressure barrels and I keep them outside in the shed. I have wrapped tin foil round each one. I don't know wether this makes any difference to the temp of the beer, but at least it reflects any unwanted sunlight away!

I used the tin foil insulation last summer and even on the warmest days, it did seem to keep the beer fairly cool. Although I do brew ale, so I don't like to drink it too cold anyway.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Adam

Freddie'sDad

Post by Freddie'sDad » Sat May 10, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks, that is very reassuring, I do not want to ruin my beer :)