Advice on half empty kegs

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
FarmerFred

Advice on half empty kegs

Post by FarmerFred » Tue May 20, 2014 10:10 pm

Hello, I originally posted this in the wine section but to no avail..
Had a party at the weekend and half a barrel of rosé and half a barrel of beer were left over. Would it be best to bottle the rosé and/or the beer to stop from spoiling? I've had to twist the lids on the pressure barrels to get them to flow. I don't have a co2 cap as I usually use bottles and tend to finish barrels at parties! Cheers.

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Advice on half empty kegs

Post by alexlark » Wed May 21, 2014 8:22 am

I've had success in the past with bottling beer from the keg with some priming sugar. In the warm and then out in the cold.

Not sure on the wine though.

FarmerFred

Post by FarmerFred » Wed May 21, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks, Think I'll have to get on a big bottling session. There's a batch of cooper's to be bottled as well! Would another way be to buy a co2 type cap and just give it a shot to help keep it good?

Brighteyebeer
Piss Artist

Post by Brighteyebeer » Fri May 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi FF

I too can't speak for the wine, but pressure barrels are designed to keep beer in good condition over a reasonable period. The PB needs to be pressurised, of course - if there's air over the beer it will oxidise and spoil. Run a little from the tap. if it comes out lively, and has signs of condition, no prob, it should keep ok. If it pours sluggishly, the CO2 cap you suggested is probably the simplest option to add pressure.

Cheers,
Chris

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat May 24, 2014 9:23 am

Ive got 2 PB's with CO2 caps and get on with them fine. Only ever have to add gas towards the end of the keg to push the last few pints out.