Not sure where to put this

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
fatman300lb

Not sure where to put this

Post by fatman300lb » Wed May 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi i apologize if this is posted in the wrong part or even the wrong forum, i have acquired a beer pump, its a strongbow one an electric pump out of my mams old pub, i am looking at rigging it up, i have looked all over and getting so confused, i am looking down the route to making a kegerator and ordering a keg of cider, i know its not as simple as that other things are needed but its all confusing me, i have also seen these keg party taps that you pump, also i have brewed beer in the past just using a kit from wilkos, nothing flash, i would like to make a cider as this would be cheaper then buying a keg, is there any way i can barrell this to attach it to my strongbow pump, would a pub connector you get for barrels fit a homebrew barrel, any help is appreciated and if i have posted in wrong section or forum could you please point me in right direction, thanks again

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Not sure where to put this

Post by Hanglow » Wed May 21, 2014 9:02 pm

I can't help you but there is now a dispensing forum where this topic should go

viewforum.php?f=38

good luck!

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Wed May 21, 2014 11:11 pm

How many f**king moddies does it take to find, and change, a light bulb? Image

cellone

Post by cellone » Wed May 21, 2014 11:30 pm

Deleted joke that was taken as not helpful.
Last edited by cellone on Thu May 22, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:32 am

Thanks for taking the time to post. Normally everyone is very helpful here but I agree that the Dispensing part of the forum is probably best for this. Anyway let's seem if we can actually give you some helpful advice.

First of all I wouldn't discount the idea that you could make your own cider. If you're looking to make something like Strongbow then search the forum/internet for Turbo Cider (sometimes abbreviated to TC). Like Strongbow it's apple juice from concentrate that's been fermented. Haven't made any myself but there are plenty her who have and have shared their method.
As for kegging what you've made there are lots of options most of which require a fair amount of initial investment although it will be less than the cost of a full keg. There's a 'sticky' post at the top of the dispensing forum that is called 'cornies, polykegs... definitive setup thread' . Have a read of that and see what you think will suit you. Most people start with Cornelius kegs (cornie kegs). You'll also need a CO2 bottle and a regulator. Hoses to connect the keg to the tap and the gas to the keg.

Not sure about the pump you already have but if you could post a picture that would be really helpful. I'd avoid the party taps as they use air to force the liquid out of the keg. The problem being that air contains oxygen which will oxidise the liquid and make it taste off. They're OK if you are going to drink it in a day or two but generally CO2 is your best bet.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

fatman300lb

Post by fatman300lb » Thu May 22, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks to the people that helped, much appreciated, i plan on brewing a TC as this seems the easiest, all i really wanted to know is if there was a keg they would take a pub type fitment, i can get co2 not a problem, my mam has her own pub, i could get a keg on discount price but i still thought cheaper way would be to brew TC, thanks

fatman300lb

Post by fatman300lb » Thu May 22, 2014 10:04 am

och29 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post. Normally everyone is very helpful here but I agree that the Dispensing part of the forum is probably best for this. Anyway let's seem if we can actually give you some helpful advice.

First of all I wouldn't discount the idea that you could make your own cider. If you're looking to make something like Strongbow then search the forum/internet for Turbo Cider (sometimes abbreviated to TC). Like Strongbow it's apple juice from concentrate that's been fermented. Haven't made any myself but there are plenty her who have and have shared their method.
As for kegging what you've made there are lots of options most of which require a fair amount of initial investment although it will be less than the cost of a full keg. There's a 'sticky' post at the top of the dispensing forum that is called 'cornies, polykegs... definitive setup thread' . Have a read of that and see what you think will suit you. Most people start with Cornelius kegs (cornie kegs). You'll also need a CO2 bottle and a regulator. Hoses to connect the keg to the tap and the gas to the keg.

Not sure about the pump you already have but if you could post a picture that would be really helpful. I'd avoid the party taps as they use air to force the liquid out of the keg. The problem being that air contains oxygen which will oxidise the liquid and make it taste off. They're OK if you are going to drink it in a day or two but generally CO2 is your best bet.
thanks for info, the route of the corny keg seems the easiest way as i could put it in a kegerator, now what i cant seem to find is the co2 regulator, is the needed, will it operate without, with a bit of luck i can browse my mams pub cellar and find one lying about

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:29 pm

CO2 regulator is a must. You have to regulate the pressure the tank is supplying since the bottle pressure is far too high. If you want to run more than one keg then a forum member makes a great 'gas management board' which you canbuy on eBay (although at the moment he doesn't appear to have any but send him a message and see). You'll also need some 3/8" gas tube and connectors. Finally you'll need to calculate the length of beer line needed to prevent foaming - Google 'beer line calculator'
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

cellone

Post by cellone » Thu May 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Sorry Fats & Och. Have deleted not helpful post.

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:40 am

fatman300lb wrote:Thanks to the people that helped, much appreciated, i plan on brewing a TC as this seems the easiest, all i really wanted to know is if there was a keg they would take a pub type fitment, i can get co2 not a problem, my mam has her own pub, i could get a keg on discount price but i still thought cheaper way would be to brew TC, thanks
Try Crusader kegs you can have different pub connectors with them (sankey etc).

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Sat May 24, 2014 12:55 am

I've got regulators if you need.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/cpt.frederickso ... efine=true
Happy to sell via the forum too, can sell cheaper due to lack of fees.
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.