Alternative to bottling?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
rsw
Steady Drinker

Re: Alternative to bottling?

Post by rsw » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Roscoe - I have a feeling you might be right and I'll end up sticking with bottles for the time being.

I've read more about mini kegs and bag in a box, but not convinced either are ideal. Mini kegs seem best, but look difficult to clean (and be certain of being clean). They're only lacquered steel so if they get scratched would go rusty. For a small capacity it could be a relatively expensive way of storing and serving.

A bottling fairy would be nice! - the kids will definitely be roped in to help when they're older

Richard
Richard

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:06 pm

rsw wrote:Roscoe - I have a feeling you might be right and I'll end up sticking with bottles for the time being.

I've read more about mini kegs and bag in a box, but not convinced either are ideal. Mini kegs seem best, but look difficult to clean (and be certain of being clean). They're only lacquered steel so if they get scratched would go rusty. For a small capacity it could be a relatively expensive way of storing and serving.

A bottling fairy would be nice! - the kids will definitely be roped in to help when they're older

Richard
I use mini kegs frequently and have had no problems. I just rinse them, giving a vigorous shake with warm water, then star san - simple.
Best wishes

Dave

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:49 pm

Perhaps life might be made simpler if you were to make bottling easier on yourself? It costs a bit, but I bought a bottling 'machine' and a proper capper and bottling is so much easier since.

Here's a few pics of my set up...

Tea is for mugs...

bluezephyr

Post by bluezephyr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:20 pm

2 litre clear plastic bottles are handy for making a bottling session quicker.

Had some in since February and taste better and smoother than what's in the pint glass bottles.
I generally bottle some of each, I know the beer in plastic won't last as long but it works for me.

oakerspocus

Post by oakerspocus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:09 am

I have been using mini kegs for the last 5 batches I have done and have amassed a collection of about 15 kegs. I also just blast them through with hot water and then use starsan. ..makes bottling day a doddle. no infections yet? I use a cheap CO2 profi tap but wouldn't recommend it. I am about to buy a party star like the user above. Keep an eye out for kegs in your local supermarket. Tesco sell hobgoblin, old speckled hen and golden hen for about 15 quid full of beer. Makes 6 quid for an empty seem a bit of a rip off. Lidl also do Grafenwalder kegs but the vent bungs are difficult to get out and you will need replacement bungs. Mini kegs work for me. I would recommend them whole heartedly.

rsw
Steady Drinker

Post by rsw » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Just a quick update to this.

After much deliberating, I've decided that for the next brew I'm going to bottle most of it but also get a small Polypin to try. They're cheap and if I don't get on with them I won't have lost much - The minikegs (plus c02 tap) seem quite pricey, especially for something I'm not convinced will suit me.

Thanks again
Richard

kebabman
Piss Artist

Post by kebabman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Fego, does your bottling machine cope with different height bottles? Does it automatically stop filling at the correct fill level?
Many thanks

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:52 pm

kebabman wrote:Fego, does your bottling machine cope with different height bottles? Does it automatically stop filling at the correct fill level?
Many thanks
Yes, its agnostic on bottle sizes and stops itself from over filling. If I were to always use the same bottles I could adjust it so that bottle hangs there by itself every time. As it is, some bottles need to be held in place a bit and others a lot, but once hanging, they fill up and stop and stay hanging until you are ready to take them off for capping.

I've ended up with two of theses fillers actually but only need one so might well flog the other.

I definitely recommend them for large bottle runs - saved me hours and hours of time....
Tea is for mugs...

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:57 am

I'd say a mixture of bottles, mini keg and cornelius works well for me.
I've got close on 100 grolsch bottles that I picked up for nowt, I have a system where I drink, clean, starsan to sanitise, reseal then they're ready to go for bottling day. You could do the same for any bottle but would have a little extra cost if not resealable.
I have three mini kegs and use the beer king 2000 tap, I'm satisfied with these, it does save a bit of time in comparison to bottles but not a great deal. I find pouring a bit of a pain and end up with a lot of froth! Might be just me!
I also have a corny set up, I've got one 19l keg and use the cheapy party tap. I get less froth pouring from this and filling is a doddle.
All have pros and cons but I'd have to say I prefer my brews when drinking beer poured from a bottle. Plus I like that I can save a few to age and taste 6 months down the line.
I've found with mini kegs if it's not drank within a few weeks of opening, even when using a co2 cartridge, it can taste less fresh after 2-3 weeks.
Cornelius I'm liking but I'm still getting the hang on how to use so I can't really comment.

kebabman
Piss Artist

Post by kebabman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Fego, many thanks for the info.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:08 am

oakerspocus wrote:I have been using mini kegs for the last 5 batches I have done and have amassed a collection of about 15 kegs. I also just blast them through with hot water and then use starsan. ..makes bottling day a doddle. no infections yet? I use a cheap CO2 profi tap but wouldn't recommend it. I am about to buy a party star like the user above. Keep an eye out for kegs in your local supermarket. Tesco sell hobgoblin, old speckled hen and golden hen for about 15 quid full of beer. Makes 6 quid for an empty seem a bit of a rip off. Lidl also do Grafenwalder kegs but the vent bungs are difficult to get out and you will need replacement bungs. Mini kegs work for me. I would recommend them whole heartedly.
oakers,
You seem to be getting on OK with these Mini-Kegs. I`ve got one to use soon, I have got the replacement bungs (with the red vent thing), what is the difference
between these vented bungs and the solid ones that I have seen online?
If I batch prime in the 2nd FV then fill the Mini (to within 20mm from the top), will the mini hold the pressure when carbonating? Will it vent pressure
through the red thing? Will I need to release any pressure? Are the solid bungs better for the carbonation period.?
I won`t be using a CO2 gas container or top tap because the mini will be emptied on day one or day 2 once opened. :D
Hope you don`t mind all the questions but I am sure the answers will be useful to other JBKers.

WA

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:56 am

oakers,
Perhaps you could be so kind and give us a step by step guide to the use of Mini-Kegs? :D [-o<

WA

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:24 pm

i wash and starsan after use, cap with a plastic top until bottling day, then replace with new crown top
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course