silly pressure barrel question

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
linksays

silly pressure barrel question

Post by linksays » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:27 am

hello all,

ive been bottling for years but was gettting bit fed up with the sediment, and heard that kegging helps eliminate sediment. i jumped in bit of a rush and brought a pressure barrel with co2 injection from bulbs.
ive since found out that everyone still primes these with sugar, then tops up with co2 from bulbs when some has been drunk.
can i leave out the priming sugar, and force carb straight away from the co2 bulbs? creating less sediment in the barrel?

sorry if this asked before or seems stupid but new to the barrel/kegging stuff.
thanks

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: silly pressure barrel question

Post by Troutman47 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:33 am

I know this isn't answering your question but I bottle all my beer and use Gervin English ale yeast because it stays on the bottom of the bottle allowing me to empty all the beer out.
I believe Notty and S0-4 do the same.

linksays

Post by linksays » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:13 pm

hi, yeh ive used some of those yeasts, and have cold crashed aswell but still not quite getting the results i wanted

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:11 pm

You lose a few pints from the barrel. The tap isn't on the bottom, so all the yeast is under those few pints and the beer is pretty clear once its conditioned for a few weeks. It's a trade off. the faff of bottling and get nearly all the beer or the quickness of keg and lose a few pints.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

adman1966
Piss Artist

Post by adman1966 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:40 pm

In order to get as much beer out of my pressure barrels I now put a couple of bags of sanitised glass marbles in the bottom.

The sediment still settles below the tap but the marbles displace a couple of pints so I'm not wasting as much beer. And they are, of course, reusable as after a wash and a sanitise they are ready to go again.

I hate wasting perfectly good beer if I can help it! :D
I was very, very drunk!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:46 pm

linksays wrote:.......can i leave out the priming sugar, and force carb straight away from the co2 bulbs? .......
Unfortunately you can't force carb in a plastic pressure barrel. They only go up to about 10psi and that isn't high enough pressure for force carbonation in a reasonable amount of time (you would also need to chill the barrel to get the CO2 to dissolve more easily). Also, CO2 bulbs are a very expensive way to force carb a beer - they're really just designed to replace the beer that's being used up with a CO2 blanket.

If you want to go the force carb route, get a cornelius keg and a pub gas bottle.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:54 pm

adman1966 wrote:In order to get as much beer out of my pressure barrels I now put a couple of bags of sanitised glass marbles in the bottom.

The sediment still settles below the tap but the marbles displace a couple of pints so I'm not wasting as much beer. And they are, of course, reusable as after a wash and a sanitise they are ready to go again.

I hate wasting perfectly good beer if I can help it! :D
you sir, are a genius. Stealing this idea :)

adman1966
Piss Artist

Post by adman1966 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:06 pm

You're more than welcome! A fair sized bag of glass marbles can be got from Poundland (good price too) :lol:
I was very, very drunk!

linksays

Post by linksays » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:29 pm

the barrel ive got has the tap on the bottom. only just seen the ones with it on top which is annoying.

so every time i pull a pint from the barrel its going to pull sediment with it surely?

the corny kegs looks bit to much money and space for me unfortunately

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:35 pm

linksays wrote:the barrel ive got has the tap on the bottom. only just seen the ones with it on top which is annoying.

so every time i pull a pint from the barrel its going to pull sediment with it surely?

the corny kegs looks bit to much money and space for me unfortunately
No, the sediment settles under the tap. The first pint might be a bit cloudy due to the sediment in the tap, after that it's usually fine. The top taps can be annoying, I rarely use mine now.

linksays

Post by linksays » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:53 pm

okay that makes me happier then! thanks for the help guys!