Rough weld inside a corny

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Rad

Rough weld inside a corny

Post by Rad » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi, I just got 2 ex coca cola kegs (it says Property of Coca Cola on the side). I have one like them already. They have a weld running down the side. In my old one the weld is nice and smooth. The welds in the new ones are not as smooth. Not too bad, but enough to make me worry.

So I'd like to ask for your opinion. Should I worry at all? Should I get a dremel and polish it? Or should I send them back. All in all the kegs are in a great shape.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Rough weld inside a corny

Post by Fil » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:38 pm

Rad wrote:Hi, I just got 2 ex coca cola kegs (it says Property of Coca Cola on the side). I have one like them already. They have a weld running down the side. In my old one the weld is nice and smooth. The welds in the new ones are not as smooth. Not too bad, but enough to make me worry.

So I'd like to ask for your opinion. Should I worry at all? Should I get a dremel and polish it? Or should I send them back. All in all the kegs are in a great shape.

Inside?? can you post a pic?
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Jonnyconga
Piss Artist

Post by Jonnyconga » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:05 pm

I think I might have bought some kegs off the same fella. Are you sure it didn't say in the description that they had been welded? I got mine really cheap as apparently there was welds on the inside but I'm not bothered at all. Breweries are full of welds and I'm sure they won't all be super smooth. I think we worry about this sort of thing too much. I reckon it'll be fine - unless you paid a fair bit for the kegs and there was no mention of the welds in which case I would speak to the seller about them.

Rad

Post by Rad » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:23 pm

I think I know which guy you mean. I was thinking about them but he only had pin locks. These have been converted to ball lock and come from an online shop. There was nothing about the welds in the description.
Attachments
IMG_0646.JPG

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:34 pm

I would leave them as they are, you will kick yourself if you cause a leak.

Looks like a little more penetration on the weld than some but finish seems fine.

I wouldn't worry or hesitate about using them.

BenB

Post by BenB » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:44 pm

You should my welding- now that's rough :)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:58 am

Looks okay to me, too.

Rough welding isn't really a problem in itself, only if it causes crevices that your cleaning method can't penetrate adequately. Even then you could consider using heat to sterilize.

I would want to be sure it was the real deal and not some untested/fake knock-off though, given that its a pressure vessel.
Kev

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Rad wrote:I think I know which guy you mean. I was thinking about them but he only had pin locks. These have been converted to ball lock and come from an online shop. There was nothing about the welds in the description.
u could return under distance selling rules if your not happy, i think i would..
flame/heat sanitation of a thin sheet of ss is risky as u could overheat to the point repassification could be necessary.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:09 pm

Fil wrote:flame/heat sanitation of a thin sheet of ss is risky as u could overheat to the point repassification could be necessary.
Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting getting a burner out! I was thinking more along the lines of boiling water or steam, if thought necessary.

EDIT: but yes either use them as is or sending them back as Fil suggested. I would 'not' try to grind the welds down - aside from it being difficult and prone to grinding the wrong bits, it could expose inclusions inside the weld that will be far worse than having it slightly proud.
Kev

Jonnyconga
Piss Artist

Post by Jonnyconga » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:56 pm

Looking at those welds I'd probably weigh up the cost of the kegs, and cost of returning them. Compared to almost all the cornys I've seen (quite a lot!) those welds don't look great. Maybe contact them and see what they say?

Rad

Post by Rad » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:08 pm

Hmm, that was what I was thinking. I stand to loose £20 in postage (already paid £10) or the £100 I paid for 2 and whatever brew they spoil. I'll give them a call and see what they say.

Does anyone know a good source of coke style ball lock kegs?

Brighteyebeer
Piss Artist

Post by Brighteyebeer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:42 pm