Setting psi

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
mosquat
Piss Artist

Setting psi

Post by mosquat » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:14 pm

Hi all

Finally have a couple of kegs connected to co2 but the dials on my regulator dont seem to be rising so I cant set the psi to force carb

I have a dual reg with screws (i believe) to adjust the psi but turning them either way does not budge the dials.

Is there a time lag expected or should the dials show the current set psi immediately?

One thing I just thought to mention is the liquid lines are not yet connected..

Any help or advice appreciated

Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe1002
Piss Artist

Re: Setting psi

Post by joe1002 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:36 pm

Once the screws are far enough in the reg to start allowing co2 through the gauge should be fairly instant. Clockwise increases pressure. Silly question but your gas cylinder is on and full? Try turning the screws a bit more if you haven't already.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:16 am

Thanks Joe, screws were pretty far out so will try that tonight

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:17 am

And yep gas is on full :)

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:16 am

The trouble with some secondary reg gauges is that they still read in scales which although are perfectly acceptable to use, aren't exactly user friendly for us homebrewers, for instants some homebrew shops sell them fitted with 0 to 60psi + on the gauge.

A few examples.

http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/searc ... rch=Search

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/keg-starter-set-ball.html

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/cgi ... ml#SID=200

Does anyone need a secondary scale that large? Who the XXXX would want to force carb at the higher scale. Surely a better idea would be to use a gauge on the secondary side of things that goes from 1 to 20psi (or 0 to 15psi) :D

My thought is they are left over from the soda force carb days, which none of really need or want.

I recently made up this gas board

It still has the primary reg, the secondary reg measuring in the silly scale and an end gauge measuring 0 to 15psi for accurate measure, try setting say 6psi on a silly scale :cry:

Back to your original question, best guess might be that moisture has got into the gauge which might be causing it to stick, try swapping out a gauge for a new one.

Slight Rant, time for Homebrew Shops to take the lead stop selling generic pieces of equipment for profit & be more inventive.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:39 am

That's a lovely looking gauge there - who wouldn't like a nice simple, small psi range when carbing up? There's surely an incentive for the Brew shops to get a handle on this stuff...

Back to my problem - its pretty much my ignorance - there are two screws, screw on the right seems to control the PSI for both gauges - no idea yet what the screw on the left gauge does...I thought I would be able to set two different psi values - perhaps I should be able to?

Excuse my ignorance...I may drop Norm an email as I clearly need some education!

Set it for 15 psi before I left for work - I hope I don't come home to find a beer explosion has happened in my shed..

barneey

Post by barneey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:44 am

Without a picture its difficult to tell but one reg might be controlling the MAX pressure to ALL outlets if you have another reg screw this can be turned down to minimise the gas on another outlet.

barneey

Post by barneey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:15 am

mosquat wrote:That's a lovely looking gauge there - who wouldn't like a nice simple, small psi range when carbing up? There's surely an incentive for the Brew shops to get a handle on this stuff...
Excuse my ignorance...I may drop Norm an email as I clearly need some education!
:D ironically it was Norm I bought the Krome Gas bar from, I merely fitted a brand new reg & end gauge.

I also opted for the barb style fittings, John Guest things are fine but have a limited life span if connected and disconnected too often.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:57 am

Just bought the last Krome bar from Norman. Where did you get the 0-15 gauge from Barneey, please?

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:04 pm

As the Krome bars are American I assumed that thy have a US thread on them, so I found a couple for sale on ebay us and bought them. I am away at the moment but on my return I will have a look for the link, I do have a spare though in case you cant find one for sale.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:16 pm

barneey wrote:As the Krome bars are American I assumed that thy have a US thread on them, so I found a couple for sale on ebay us and bought them. I am away at the moment but on my return I will have a look for the link, I do have a spare though in case you cant find one for sale.
cough cough :=P
knowing the thread would be great.
if the PSI exceeds the gauge reading it will not damage it right?

barneey

Post by barneey » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:02 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371059690273

Is the ones I bought and are so far leak free.

IIRC most gauges work on an internal spring so if the pressure is greater it will still supply the greater pressure but might not do the spring much good in the long run, I have never found the need to go above 15psi though for the style of beer I like to use.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:44 pm

barneey wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371059690273

Is the ones I bought and are so far leak free.

IIRC most gauges work on an internal spring so if the pressure is greater it will still supply the greater pressure but might not do the spring much good in the long run, I have never found the need to go above 15psi though for the style of beer I like to use.
Cheers, they do not seem to be unreasonable if I can persuade Demig to go halves on 4 of them ;)

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:58 pm

I got one of these for my Krome bar. Unfortunately not tested yet but worth a punt at the price
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131096752597

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:09 pm

Goulders wrote:I got one of these for my Krome bar. Unfortunately not tested yet but worth a punt at the price
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131096752597
After reading a couple of things online, i am a bit wary of the thread difference screwing up the manifold and seal but let us know how you get on.

EDIT: There seem to be places here that will sell gauges with the right thread but need to be rung for prices.