Syphoning

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Touchstone
Steady Drinker

Syphoning

Post by Touchstone » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:32 pm

What is the reason for Syphoning, I just put a tube on & drain

BenB

Re: Syphoning

Post by BenB » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:52 pm

At what point? Most people don't have taps on their fvs due to difficulty sanitising.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:12 pm

BenB wrote:At what point? Most people don't have taps on their fvs due to difficulty sanitising.
Rubbish. It's not difficult to sanitise taps. They are easy to remove and clean

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Mashman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:25 am

Syphoning sucks !

Taps rule
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:21 am

Goulders wrote:
BenB wrote:At what point? Most people don't have taps on their fvs due to difficulty sanitising.
Rubbish. It's not difficult to sanitise taps. They are easy to remove and clean
Exactly. It's no more difficult to sanitise a tap than a syphon in fact it's easier and the risk of infection with inserting a syphon is much greater.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:38 am

I'm in the tap and hose camp. Syphoning just ended up with bubbles in the tube, and beer on the floor.

Touchstone
Steady Drinker

Post by Touchstone » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks, I thought I was missing something when time and again I see posts mentioning Syphoning , tap and hose is much easier and I always clean & soak tap in bleach , so easy.

BenB

Post by BenB » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:06 am

So why don't people use taps then? Dead space losses? Risk of trub collecting in the tap and then going into the beer (not that that would have much impact)? Neither taps nor syphoning are modern techniques so it's not as if we use syphoning through default. Is it due to FVs originally being glass? I suspect our American cousins use syphoning due to the issue with fitting a tap to a glass Carboy :) I must admit I was always lead to believe risk of infection but it's good to query these things- avoid the risk of just passing on internet folklore.....

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:18 pm

I usually just syphon. There's not much between either method tbf, you have to be clean either way. The only problem with the tap that I can think of is that if you have a lot of trub then you are more likely to draw some off into your bottling bucket/keg as you always draw from the bottom. And different beers produce different amounts of trub. But with a syphon you can draw from the top/middle of the beer and always avoid that.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:26 pm

Hanglow wrote:I usually just syphon. There's not much between either method tbf, you have to be clean either way. The only problem with the tap that I can think of is that if you have a lot of trub then you are more likely to draw some off into your bottling bucket/keg as you always draw from the bottom. And different beers produce different amounts of trub. But with a syphon you can draw from the top/middle of the beer and always avoid that.
The answer is to not have any trub and use a tap. How to achieve that can be learnt here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76021&start=15
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Touchstone
Steady Drinker

Post by Touchstone » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:43 pm

Trub isn't a problem with me, it is usually solid on the bottom

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Fair enough, I'm too lazy to secondary :D