Wilko pressure barrel (new design!)

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Wilko pressure barrel (new design!)

Post by adamzworld » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:57 pm

Was in Wilko yesterday and they have a brand new design for their pressure barrels. They've made the neck wider (for easier cleaning) and done away with the hooked on handle (it now has handles moulded into the sides of the barrel. They also now come with a Co2 cap as standard.

I was quite tempted, but I've only just bought new caps for my existing barrels. They're 30 quid which I didn't was too bad considering you'd normally pay £10+ for the cap alone.

Just wondered whether anyone had purchased one yet and what their thoughts were?

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Wilko pressure barrel (new design!)

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Saw one during a recent visit but not in need of any, so overlooked the fact that it was fitted with a valve for CO2. I presume they were the type that take the 8g cartridges and if so did you note if they were of the type that have an insert that can be turned over to take S30 bottles?
I think £30 is a good price.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:03 pm

They also now come with a Co2 cap as standard.
it would appear from the brief poke i gave one today you need to buy the co2 cartridge holder separate,so another £5
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:50 pm

themadhippy wrote:
it would appear from the brief poke i gave one today you need to buy the co2 cartridge holder separate,so another £5
I thought they would be, just got a stainless valve recently which I think cost about £10, but it's this type which can do either. Hopefully Wilko's is the same as I use an S30 bottle which won't work with the pin.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:52 pm

themadhippy wrote:
Also works out bloody expensive on gas and I find you get far to much pressure with the cartridges .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:52 pm

I did think that the valve had a larger diameter than the bulb type Co2 lids. I guess if you're looking at a King Keg then it's worth considering as an alternative.

Addled Jim

Post by Addled Jim » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:04 pm

They do look good, the tap seemed like it wouldn't take a float though - might be wrong as I've only seen the Edme/Boots barrels before?

tickle

Post by tickle » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:03 am

the valve are the same as the old type just bigger caps
the handles are molded in and make it harder to carry them
ok they are better to get into to clean which is a good thing

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:40 pm

I like the new design especially the moulded handles.I never use the hooked handles on the 3 barrels i currently use because i think they cause slight fractures picking them up with 20 litres plus of beer in em.
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.