Using a Beer engine with a pressure barrel

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Otters

Using a Beer engine with a pressure barrel

Post by Otters » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi All,

Hoping that you could help me here. the other day I found an absolute bargain in a Beer Engine and Check valve. To that end i wish to connect it up to a standard beer pressure barrel? I wonder if you can give me some tips and also share details of how you managed to rig these sort of set-up's yourselves?

Any information, hints and tips of use, are all welcomed.

Thanks and regards

Otters

Goulders
Under the Table

Re: Using a Beer engine with a pressure barrel

Post by Goulders » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:39 pm

If you do a search there are loads of threads on this

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Standard 1/2" silicone tubing fits over the tap of a pressure barrel, depending on your valve you will either be able to connect it straight or you will have to reduce down to 3/8" with John Guest fittings.

For serving you can either unscrew the PB lid and vent or you can hook up a nifty CO2 supply.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Brighteyebeer
Piss Artist

Post by Brighteyebeer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Here's a pic:

The Boots PB on the shelf is tapped to the BE, via a cooling pod with a recirc cooler providing coolant. The KK and budget PBs are maturing beer to be tapped in turn. CO2 from a 6.35kg cylinder out of shot behind the shelf. It's connected to the PB with an S30 valve adaptor and shut-off valve.

KK and Boots barrel taps use a 1/2" JG tank adaptor to replace the tap, a 1/2 to 3/8 JG resizer, a short stub of beer line and a shut-off valve to connect the 3/8 beer line. Budget PB just uses a short length of soft plastic tubing pushed over the tap and 3/8 beer line; hoseclips both ends.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Chris

Otters

Post by Otters » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:52 am

Hi Brightley Beer,

...great set up. thanks for the picks & detailed response - you've got me thinking now on what connectors I will need to complete my set-up.

Just a quick question; where did you get an S30 adapter from? I'm planning, initially, on using an S30 cylinder direct onto the barrel fitting. My next thoughts were using an adapter [like yours] connected to a breather valve (aspirator) which would be connected in turn to a regulator (to set a line pressure of 5psi say...) and then to a proper CO2 cylinder and or the S30 cylinder? Sorry for the detailed response but would value you advice.

Kind regards

Dave