Corny pressure loss

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
danwlx

Corny pressure loss

Post by danwlx » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi all,

Been kegging a while and enjoy the results and the convenience.

Usually I seal the lid with 30-40 psi then disconnect and leave to condition for a while with the odd top up of gas (the co2 regulator usually shows a little pressure remaing in the keg after a few days early on). On my latest batch I did the same and have topped up a couple of times but each check of the pressure gauge has shown 0 after a couple of days. I've checked the lid seal, posts and pressure relief by spraying them with star san and am getting no bubbling and the kegs are sitting at room temp.

Any idea where I might be losing the co2, I know some will be absorbed but never seen the reg go to zero between top-ups before.

Cheers
Dan

gobuchul

Re: Corny pressure loss

Post by gobuchul » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:38 am

Did you try opening the PRV to see if the keg itself was still pressurised?

If you are topping up and then turning off the main cylinder, the leak could be from the pipework coming from the cylinder? The reg would fall to zero despite there still being pressure in the cylinder, held in by the one way poppets in the post.

If i was you I would get some proper leak detector for this anyway. http://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-produc ... 50ml/95781

Is the beer carbed?

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:04 am

We happened to have a 62 ltr storage box. I can submerge an entire corny with a few litres of water to check for the smallest bubbles.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:55 am

It's difficult to detect a slow leak. I had the same problem when I started using kegs. Lubricating the O-rings worked for me. Over tightening the keg posts can compress the O-rings, causing leaks. CO2 is absorbed more efficiently at lower temperatures too.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:46 pm

check all jg fittings are fully engaged, and that none are suffering from any sideways or shearing forces, if your bending gas line dont let jg fitting take too much sideways pressure.

If post orings are worn a quick temporary fix can be a few wraps of ptfe tape round the post/oring.

But If keg still contains some pressure And the beer is conditioned, then its possible the co2 has simply been absorbed, especially if where you keep the kegs is exposed to drops in temperature overnight to close to frost levels, there is bugger all space or headroom in a full corny 300ml??
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

danwlx

Post by danwlx » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:16 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've lubricated and resealed the lid and checked the post seals, fingers crossed.

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:29 am

Check where the regulator fits to the CO2 bottle. I have found these do 'loosen' a bit over time (the seal compresses)

NorthEastBrewer
Steady Drinker

Post by NorthEastBrewer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:27 am

I just had that exact issue, Co2 tank had a slow leak from the connection to the regulator arm after it became slightly loose. That's actually the second time I have emptied my Co2 tank as the pressure release valve failed on the corny the first time. Kegging is fantastic until you have problems!

That gas leak spray looks worth a shot too.

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Since I've been using petrogel Food grade grease, I've had no problems. After cleaning/sanitising I lube the seals and lid seal, after filling I pressurise to 20psi and check the drop by leaving a gauge on until I'm happy it's leveled out. After a week and it's maintained pressure, I then press on and carbonate.

The food grade lube is good stuff.