Clear as mud - serving cask within hours?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
yashicamat
Under the Table

Clear as mud - serving cask within hours?

Post by yashicamat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:34 pm

In a few months time, I need to be putting on a decent quantity of beer (36 pints) on draught . . . but the catch is, it will need to be dispensed only hours after it has travelled 2 hours in a car!

I don't want to go down the route of bottles (too much faff) and would preferably avoid beer boxes (not enough condition). The beer style will be a bitter and brewed with S-04 yeast, using kieselsol as an aux fining. This is my thoughts, just wanted a second opinion;

- Let the beer drop fairly clear in the FV (with S-04 this won't be hard!), but not completely clear, then rack into a pin with a small quantity of priming sugar and kieselsol finings. Allow to condition for a week. Keep in the right orientation as much as possible during the journey and manoeuvre into place with minimal disturbance. Rest for an hour, vent, tap and rest for a further hour or so until serving. My thoughts are that with minimising the quantity of yeast into the cask, combing that with kieselsol and the flocculant nature of SO-4 would at worst render a hazy pint and at best a clear one, likely to be clear 24 hours later?

What do people reckon - feasible?

My other alternative is to condition in the cask as usual, then rack into a second cask immediately before leaving, thereby carrying a 'bright' cask which should be clear but also carry some of the condition still, although I suspect it will lose some in the racking process.

thanks and any thoughts/advice are appreciated!
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Kyle_T
Mild King

Re: Clear as mud - serving cask within hours?

Post by Kyle_T » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Just rack into a new cask before leaving and carry it bright.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:32 pm

Kyle_T wrote:Just rack into a new cask before leaving and carry it bright.
Yep, that's what I would do too.

If you are careful you shouldn't loose too much carbonation, particularly as you will be serving fairly soon after.

smuggles

Post by smuggles » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:18 pm

I agree, I think racking before traveling is your best bet.

I've tried what you're suggesting a few times (except using gelatin instead of kieselsol), including crash cooling in both the FV and cask, and at best I've still had slightly hazy beer even after 24 hours.

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:43 am

Rack it bright. Then serve through Beer engine with a tight sparkler

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:35 am

You could try one of these https://www.caskwidge.com/