Leaking keg

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
michrich
Steady Drinker

Leaking keg

Post by michrich » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:35 pm

Kegged my first stout last night for it to get ready for Xmas and just been in to check on it and over a pint has leaked from it with outlet valve looking the place it has come from. I made sure I had tightened it before it was kegged but does anyone know what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it without spoiling my beer?

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Leaking keg

Post by aamcle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:47 am

if its a plastic barrel, slowly let the pressure out, reseal , tip it back so the tap is clear of the stout, spray the tap and the area around it with no risnse sanitiser, remove the tap if you've done it right beer wont go everywhere, then check the seal ring and the surface of the barrel it seals against, when everything is OK spray with sanitiser again and reseal.

It sounds more than it is BUT if you have one of the barrels with a tube inside the barrel attached the the back of the tap I've no idea how you can sort it out..

Good Luck. aamcle

michrich
Steady Drinker

Post by michrich » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's a corny keg. Think I am going to have to replace he ball lock on it.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Corny, ugghhh I'm having ongoing pain with mine, it's not likely to be the steel so it's probably down to replacing "O" rings. I've had mine in a trug full of water and still could not find a leak.

I'd change rings and disconnects before I bought metal bits unless I had very good reason to think they were damaged.

aamcle

Brighteyebeer
Piss Artist

Post by Brighteyebeer » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:49 am

Could simply be some grit or similar in the disconnect. If you don't have a spare, remove the QD, and rinse it well under a tap. Make sure you pull-up the outer 'skirt'. If you've just kegged the beer, why is the disconnect on it? Best not to use it until the beer's ready to be tapped.
Cheers,
Chris

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:58 pm

If it's with the disonect fitted then it could simply be the Oring on top of the post.
If it's without the disonect fitted, it could be the poppet oring
Or even the oring that seals the keg to the disconect valve.

More that likely the 1st thou. And remember to use a bit of lube on the oring, as they don't like the friction
To Busy To Add,