Best Keg?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
shepp

Best Keg?

Post by shepp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:53 pm

My other half needs ideas for what to buy me for Christmas, I was thinking beer keg.
I wondered which is the best one on the market and what gas system is best to use?
Thanks

joe1002
Piss Artist

Re: Best Keg?

Post by joe1002 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:39 pm

Casks :lol:

Depends what type of keg you want really. Sankey kegs get my vote but they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

I've never used plastic kegs, from what I have read they seem more trouble than they are worth but others opinions / experiences may differ.

shepp

Post by shepp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:01 pm

I don't want the expense at this stage with buying steel kegs, I want to bottle some and keg some.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:26 pm

There are a few plastic sankey kegs around, but far more commonly plastic means pressure barrels. Did you mean those?
Kev

shepp

Post by shepp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Sorry I meant pressure barrel.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:47 pm

PB's are a compromise solution, the beers maximum condition level is dependent on the ambient temperature, and as they are tricky to sit in a fridge that generally excludes pouring highly conditioned beers like lagers and are better suited towards ales and bitters..

the pour of the beer from a pb is also a variable as it changes from pint to pint as the internal pressure drops between top ups, and is a knack some find easier than others to master, a dalex style tap upgrade can help those who struggle with the pour knack ;)

imho the s30 valve and bottles for c02 are the best vfm system for maintaining pressure in a barrel and a single bottle shold last you a good 12months of use before a refill is required..

opt for a barrel with a 4" neck/lid as you can add extra hardware easier such as co2 input valves and some also install tyre valves to take pressure readings from ;)

Kegs require a bit more investment to set up but if you have the space can provide a much better pour and when used with a temperature control system such as a keg fridge provide you with the ability to serve beers at any level of condition,
the kegs themselves are only the storage aspect you will also need regulated co2 supply Taps beer and gas line and some sort of temperature management costing circa £200+ to set up with a few kegs,
£25-£75 for a co2 bottle (deposit dependent)
£30 for a regulator
£30+ tap and beer/gas line
£20 in JG fittings to join up line taps (probably fitting some microline in the beer feed to avoid fobbing)
£50+ keg fridge
£20-£80 per keg, options range from polykegs (30l pop bottles) corny kegs, crusader kegs etc...
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

shepp

Post by shepp » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks for that, very informative.