Co2 tank nearly empty?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
soupdragon
Under the Table

Co2 tank nearly empty?

Post by soupdragon » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi all

Not got a hand held or floor scale to weigh it so........

If my high pressure dial is saying around 10 bar should I take that as it's not far off empty?

Cheers. Tom

Wezzel

Re: Co2 tank nearly empty?

Post by Wezzel » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:52 pm

I don't think the high pressure gauges work on co2 cylinders. Mine never seems to read anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:28 pm

10 bar = 145 psi. As I understand it this will only vary slightly with the temperature of the cylinder until you have NO liquid CO2 left. The gas/liquid is in pressure equilibrium when full, as you let gas out a bit more liquid boils off to maintain the same pressure. Eventually there is just compressed gas and after that the high pressure gauge will start reading lower as you let gas out.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:39 pm

I'm sure it had 60 bar in it when I first started using it. I'll have to borrow a set of scales to see how much is in it. Tare weight is 15.1 kg and is 6.35 kg capacity, fingers crossed I've got enough left to last till the new year

Cheers. Tom

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:45 am

soupdragon wrote:I'm sure it had 60 bar in it when I first started using it. I'll have to borrow a set of scales to see how much is in it. Tare weight is 15.1 kg and is 6.35 kg capacity, fingers crossed I've got enough left to last till the new year

Cheers. Tom
To be sure turn the gas off and only turn it back on once the beer starts to slow. The beer won't be any less fizzy and you might be surprised by how many pints you can get out before needing a squirt.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:23 am

Will give that a go, thanks :)

Cheers. Tom

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:19 pm

Yes this means time to start thinking about a new cylinder - 60 bar when full sounds about right. Once they drop away from this they empty pretty quickly.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Some interesting facts for you. So how many litres of co2 does your cylinder hold.

In the gas cylinder CO2 is in the liquid state, i.e. ”under pressure liquefied.” The pres- sure in the cylinder is approximately 57 bar at 20°C. When CO2 is withdrawn from the cylinder through a regulator set at an outlet pressure of less than 5.2 bar, gase- ous CO2 is produced: 1 kg of liquid expands to about 550 litres of gas at atmospheric pressure.

So my gas bottle holds 6.35 kg so there's 3492 litres in there
To Busy To Add,

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:Some interesting facts for you. So how many litres of co2 does your cylinder hold.

In the gas cylinder CO2 is in the liquid state, i.e. ”under pressure liquefied.” The pres- sure in the cylinder is approximately 57 bar at 20°C. When CO2 is withdrawn from the cylinder through a regulator set at an outlet pressure of less than 5.2 bar, gase- ous CO2 is produced: 1 kg of liquid expands to about 550 litres of gas at atmospheric pressure.

So my gas bottle holds 6.35 kg so there's 3492 litres in there
Sorry, that's not interesting (3492/19 = 183 cornies) ;) . An interesting fact would be how many cornies do I get @ 12 psi including purges and top ups? I'm still on my first cylinder after almost two years and reading Alex101's tale of woe and this thread has me worried as bad things come in threes. [-o<
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:21 pm

so is is weighing or preying time, i'guess both. :lol: [-o<
To Busy To Add,

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:22 pm

I suspect my cylinder is about empty and I went to pick up a new cylinder yesterday, only to find the place closed. Hope they open up before New Year or I will be stuffed!

I think it will be empty today or tomorrow. There could be a lot of red wine drunk this Christmas.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:26 pm

I've emailed a couple of local places to ask if they refill for the general public but not had a reply as yet, stupid Christmas holidays. Just as well I've got a back up mix gas bottle and regulator that I can hook up if it does go empty sooner than later

Cheers. Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:28 pm

gobuchul wrote:There could be a lot of red wine drunk this Christmas.
Nothing wrong with red wine :D

Cheers. Tom