Gas manifold recommendation?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:13 pm

I've been running a kegerator with 6 kegs for a while now and am thinking of upgrading my JG splitters to proper manifolds. I don't like the thought of 3 kegs all coupled together in case of infection, and it would allow me to isolate kegs and gas lines much more easily.

I've had a look round the options for a 4-way manifold and they all look very similar but the prices range from £26 to £45 all at decent online suppliers. All seem to offer check valves to prevent back-flow of liquid and gas.

Does anyone have any recommendations or known issues with these to look out for? Thanks!
Ian

TonySan
Steady Drinker

Re: Gas manifold recommendation?

Post by TonySan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Just bought a 4-way from BrewUK and am in the process of building. Seems well made, doesn't leak, and is quite small, which was a bonus.
Fermenting: Nowt
Conditioning: Black Cross Stout
Drinking: GW London Porter, 'Use it Up' Bitter

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks Tony - those were the ones I had my eye on....please let me know how you get on with them...and wondering what the extra £20 for the more expensive ones adds!....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ian

tomgardner
Sober

Post by tomgardner » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm also interested in this, having managed to spread Brett from one keg to another two (possibly 3) via the interconnected split gas lines. Not something I want to ever happen again!

I've looked at the 4-way manifold on BrewUK, but I need to know more about how the check valves work. From another site it says " Each ball valve has a built in check valve to not only protect your regulator but also prevent gas or beer migrating from one keg to another" How does it work? If it can only flow one way, how does the regulator know what the pressure is in the keg? However, If it can flow back to the regulator from each outlet, then how does it stop gas from one keg flowing into another? If it is a one-way valve and can only measure the pressure when it is pushing gas into the keg, then you wouldn't be able to check individual keg pressure on the regulator any more, short of seeing at what point it started pushing gas in. I suppose that would be OK.

TonySan
Steady Drinker

Post by TonySan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Well, it is installed and working, albeit quite tuneful when there is gas flowing through it.

As to the efficacy of the check valves, I hope to never find out if it works or truly has them.

As the picture on BrewUK implies, it is a Krome model, and their website has more details. Some others I saw still had PTFE tape showing or looked somewhat 'Heath Robinson', so I went for the one from a supplier with a presence rather than a Chinese backroom factory.

The other main benefit to me was that the mounting brackets are separate to the manifold unlike some others, so it has more mounting options in the tight space I had, although it is tricky to get the mounting brackets to clamp the manifold firmly.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks Tony - appreciate the feedback. I think I'll probably go with these!

Do the barbs unscrew (just wondering about screwing on JG fittings) or are they welded on?

Cheers
Ian

TonySan
Steady Drinker

Post by TonySan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm guessing they are screwed on, they are brass and there is no sign of any brazing/welding, but there is no protruding thread to be certain.

They are a very tight fit for the gas line, and although I have used worm drive clips to be safe, I can't see there being any issues with leaking.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:52 pm

They do unscrew as does the bolt at the end. Barneey, in a stroke of genius, replaced the latter with a 0-15 PSI gauge, that lets you get a much more accurate measurement on the gas pressure (he actually did a little bit more than that by using it as part of a home made gas managment board):

Inspired by this, I am adding a couple of low pressure gauges to my two manifolds as well (one with a 0-15 PSI one and one with a 0-30 PSI one) as well as replacing one of the manifold ouputs on each with a ball lock gas post (to let me quickly hook up a Pegas tap when needed but it also allows it to be used with a jumper lead with eg kegs if necessary). The only issue you may run into is that it is an american thread (both of us imported the gauges from the US).

You might want to consider keeping the barbs as they are a very tight fit with 3/8 line and wont leak like JG fittings canif you put sideways force on them.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Brilliant! Thanks f00b4r and Tonysan.

The low pressure guage on the end is genius....I've had those on my ebay watch list for ages as a possible replacement for the existing ones on my reg, but adding them to the manifold will be much easier.

Does anyone have approx length and width of the bar (including taps?)....thanks in advance!
Ian

TonySan
Steady Drinker

Post by TonySan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:24 pm

25cm long, 10cm deep including brackets when setup as per picture

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:39 pm

TonySan wrote:25cm long, 10cm deep including brackets when setup as per picture
Perfect - thanks. Ordering two tonight!
Ian

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Before anyone asked the question ;)

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=76608&hilit=board
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Just for info here is the size of the 3 way manifold and a comparison of size with the other Chinese type that you can get:

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:02 pm

f00b4r wrote:...... The only issue you may run into is that it is an american thread (both of us imported the gauges from the US).....
Hi F00b4r

So they don't use the 1/4" BSP that I have used before? Do you know the thread size?

And thanks for the tip about the barbs - I'll run 3/8 into 3/16 reducers instead, may as well keep it simple!

Cheers
Ian

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:06 pm

They are 1/4" NTP, which are not compatible (you may be able to get them to work together by bodging it but why risk leaks).
All credit to Barneey for most of the original info though and the great idea, now I just need to figure out which loctite to use to ensure no leaks.