Beer tower set up - confused!

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Bazz
Piss Artist

Beer tower set up - confused!

Post by Bazz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi all, i'm giving myself a bit of a headache trying to set up my new beer tower. My wife bought me a two tap beer tower for Christmas which is fantastic, only trouble is that it came with lengths of 8mm hose connected to the tap shanks and that is producing tons of foam when pouring a pint, and it's a bugger to clean as the hoses are jubilee clipped to the tap shank one end and the cornie disconnects the other.

What i'd like to do is run 3/16 beer line for the most part as this has worked for me in pouring a good pint with a party tap set up. The cornie end is fine , disconnect into 3/8 beer line, adaptor into 3/16. What i'm having trouble with is the tap shank end, i know you can get adaptors for some taps but i don't think they will work for mine as the taps seem to be one piece, and the room in the tower is limited to have to much going on in there, and i don't think that 3/8 beer line will fit securely on to the barb on the shank.

So what i thought would be ideal was a hose barb to 3/8 or 3/16 adaptor, something like this http://www.johnguest.com/product/supers ... connector/
With this i thought i could leave a small length of hose on the shank barb and then run it into beer line. Trouble is i can't seem to find any where in the uk that stocks them, i did find these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-john-g ... 2048138720
and wondered if i could do anything with them. But my brain is starting to get a bit overwhelmed looking at all the different sizes so i thought i'd pop along to here to see if anyone could add some clarity to my addled thoughts!

Thanks.
Last edited by Bazz on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Beer tower set up - confused!

Post by jaroporter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:31 pm

8mm is 5/16", so you might find you can push a short length of that on (or even a 5/16" JG adapter straight on - i believe some hosebarbs will accept them). similar thought, but it's a more common size so might be easier to find parts..
dazzled, doused in gin..

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Do you have a picture of the tower and the shanks? If the shanks are what it think they are then you can get a connector that screws on and accepts 3/8" line, you can then use a reducer.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi Joe, I haven't got a picture of mine but it is this one http://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/collections ... beer-tower

I see they do an adaptor, this one http://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/collections ... tail-piece

but having looked at my shanks i can't see that i could replace the barb that's on there, it seems to be a single forged piece.

If it is possible then i'm totally open to all options.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:59 am

you can probably fit standard 3/8" beer/gas line over the tap barb/hosetail if permanently fixed and secure with a jubilee clip, and then use JG fittings to reduce to 3/16" and back up at the keg end again. if you need a short length of 3/8" line pm me and i will send u some for the cost of postage..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:45 am

Have you thought of contacting Keg Kingdom?
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Fil - that's very kind of you but fortunately I have a couple of spare metres, thanks.

Nitro Jim - yes I have considered it, but I'm hoping I can get this figured out, I've got a few connectors on order to try, if all that fails I will e mail them.

jumpinjack

Post by jumpinjack » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:05 am

I had something similar recently as had to replace my lines as they had gone a bit. You can't use standard beerline on to the barb directly as the seal is poor because it's stiff so it sprays out. What I did is run the pvc 8mm pipe down into my kegerator as you have found there isn't much space in there to convert things (I ran it down inside some lagged copper pipes to help keep it cool). I then had these two bits below which converted it to normal 3/8 beer line and then stepped it down between there and the keg for 3/16 to balance. https://www.brewuk.co.uk/3-8-3-16fll.html

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/john-guest-3-8-1-4mfl.html

I recommend you pick up some automotive style jubilees clips. I did and they worked a lot better. Let me know if you have any questions as I racked my brain for ages on fixing this.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks jumpinjack, i'll let you know if i fail in my attempts, they look similar to the john guest bits i have on order, fingers crossed i'll have it sussed by Monday afternoon, as long as the postman delivers my bits.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:46 pm

The answer is a john guest 5/16 to 3/16 push fit reducer, just terminate the 8mm pvc hosing a few inches from the barb and push on the adaptor then run 3/16 beer line from the adaptor to the disconnect with a 3/16 to 3/8 adaptor and a small length of 3/8 beer ine from the adaptor to disconnect.