Ullage......

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Post Reply
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3532
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: South Wales UK.

Ullage......

Post by WalesAles » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:14 pm

Hello Boys and Girls,
Ullage is important, or not?
Went to a new local Micro Brewery today (no names in case they read this).
Bought 10 bottles of beer, 6 different types.
I`ve had 5 today (330ml bottles) each one has poured with no head, no bubbles and they were filled right to the bottom of the cap.
No hiss on opening.
This Brewery has only been open for a month yet they are supplying local pubs with these beers.
Would they have carbonated by then?
The beers taste OK but look rubbish in the glass.
I would not post a pic on JBK if they were mine.
What is going on? #-o

WA

Jambo
Hollow Legs
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Ullage......

Post by Jambo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:19 am

I had to google ullage :) I don't know the answer though!

User avatar
fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 11:02 pm
Location: Charlestown, Cornwall

Re: Ullage......

Post by fego » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:53 am

My guess is they either forgot to add primer to their feeder tank when bottling or didn't mix it well enough and you got the bottles with no primer. Doesn't explain filling to the cap though, that's amateur.
I'd take them back and explain your experience to help them fix the problems before they build the wrong kind of reputation.
Tea is for mugs...

joe1002
Piss Artist
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 9:34 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Ullage......

Post by joe1002 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:39 pm

You need some head space to get the carbonation. No or little head space will result in low carbonation.

Ulsterman

Re: Ullage......

Post by Ulsterman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:04 pm

Is it not the speed of carbonation that is effected by the size of the headspace? I have always believed that a little oxygen allows the yeast to work and results in carbonation sooner but it will still happen but takes longer with little headspace. Also thought the bigger problem with lack of headspace is the possibility of bottle bombs if bottled below room temp and then allowed to rise to room temp with nowhere for beer to expand?

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 996
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:12 pm
Location: Garden of England

Re: Ullage......

Post by jaroporter » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:06 pm

joe1002 wrote:You need some head space to get the carbonation. No or little head space will result in low carbonation.
Why is this? I'd suggest that less headspace would more likely result in a higher carbed as more co2 stays in the beer than the airspace.. ?
dazzled, doused in gin..

kev93_10
Piss Artist
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:54 am

Re: Ullage......

Post by kev93_10 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:42 am

Ullage has absolutely nothing to do with the headspace in a bottle and certainly nothing to do with carbonation.

K


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jambo
Hollow Legs
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Ullage......

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:34 am

kev93_10 wrote:Ullage has absolutely nothing to do with the headspace in a bottle and certainly nothing to do with carbonation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ullage
Indeed - it seems the word has quite different definitions depending on context - the definition in the beer world being residue in a keg while the definition in the wine world is more what the OP was meaning, I believe.

AFewTooMany

Re: Ullage......

Post by AFewTooMany » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Are they actually bottle conditioned? Otherwise head space and priming sugar is irrelevant as they'll be 'force carbed'. I would take a note of the batch numbers and ping them an email so they can check the batches and recall stock if need be. You might get some free beer out of it too to make up for the error...

In my work any beer which is unfit for sale but in date is deemed ullage. This means the volume of beer is noted as it is disposed of so the duty can be claimed back.

kev93_10
Piss Artist
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:54 am

Re: Ullage......

Post by kev93_10 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Jambo wrote:
kev93_10 wrote:Ullage has absolutely nothing to do with the headspace in a bottle and certainly nothing to do with carbonation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ullage
Indeed - it seems the word has quite different definitions depending on context - the definition in the beer world being residue in a keg while the definition in the wine world is more what the OP was meaning, I believe.
Fair point

K


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3532
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: South Wales UK.

Re: Ullage......

Post by WalesAles » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:50 pm

AFewTooMany wrote:Are they actually bottle conditioned? Otherwise head space and priming sugar is irrelevant as they'll be 'force carbed'. I would take a note of the batch numbers and ping them an email so they can check the batches and recall stock if need be. You might get some free beer out of it too to make up for the error...

In my work any beer which is unfit for sale but in date is deemed ullage. This means the volume of beer is noted as it is disposed of so the duty can be claimed back.
AFTM,
No batch no`s, labels put on by hand and beer names and ABV written on label in black felt pen! :D #-o
Even my labels (and caps) look 10 times better! :D
I will go back and talk to them with my findings just in case they are getting bad feedback.
Take a bottle of my Earl Grey Stout as a pointer! Only 2 weeks in the bottle and it is better than any of theirs! =D> =D>

WA

McMullan
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Ullage......

Post by McMullan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Crafty :lol:

User avatar
Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing
Posts: 8716
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:00 pm
Location: Ash, Surrey
Contact:

Re: Ullage......

Post by Andy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:10 pm

Sounds like they don't know what they're doing (or whoever is doing the bottling doesn't).
Dan!

Post Reply