Old, full keg from storage

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Jerk Alert

Old, full keg from storage

Post by Jerk Alert » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Fellow brewers

I've brewed a couple of kegs to take on a stag-do on Friday which are currently force-carbing in the fridge.

I do, however, have another keg which I force-carbed in early Jan, but has been sat at room-temp for 3 months. Provided there are no leaks, would you expect this keg to still be carbonated? I'll chill it down before serving.

I've never left a full keg for this long!

Cheers

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Old, full keg from storage

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Yep, that will be fine, as long as it was a good beer,,,ie no little bit of an infection, that's taken over.

Why not make sure, just make sure your disco is clean and tap it. You never know it may be a bit over carb'ed, or its to good to stick in a stag do for them to drink ?
Anyhow let us know what's it like

Cheers,, :wink: :beer:
To Busy To Add,

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Old, full keg from storage

Post by Kev888 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Assuming it was properly carbonated and then sealed, it shouldn't lose carbonation - it is just like a big bottle of beer. The exception would be if it got so warm in storage that the PRV (or something else) vented under the increased pressure.

As you say though, you will need to return it to the correct temperature before broaching, otherwise you're likely to get CO2 leaping out of the beer the moment pressure drops, causing a world of foam.
Kev