Bottling without priming

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Bottling without priming

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:09 pm

The help manual for BeerSmith says this about the temperature field..
If bottling, enter the temperature of the beer when it is bottled (often room temperature). If kegging, enter the intended storage temperature for the keg (typically the temperature of the refrigerator you will be storing the keg in).
..which, frankly, seems completely ridiculous and even more confusing. Why on earth would you use one temperature when bottling, and another if kegging?

james1988
Piss Artist

Re: Bottling without priming

Post by james1988 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:36 am

Matt in Birdham wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:09 pm
The help manual for BeerSmith says this about the temperature field..
If bottling, enter the temperature of the beer when it is bottled (often room temperature). If kegging, enter the intended storage temperature for the keg (typically the temperature of the refrigerator you will be storing the keg in).
..which, frankly, seems completely ridiculous and even more confusing. Why on earth would you use one temperature when bottling, and another if kegging?
I'd imagine they're working on the assumption that the fridge will already be at the required temperature as soon as the keg is added or even before; if that's the case the CO2 will disolve a little more quickly than it would in the room temperature bottles. Personally, I'd be astounded if Beer smith is intelligent enough to know the rate of absorption.

James

PS the above post is just my opinion and is fraught with assumptions...