Beer Engine to Corny Keg pipework

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
spook100
Piss Artist

Beer Engine to Corny Keg pipework

Post by spook100 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi.

I am looking setting up my beer engine to dispense from Cornys using an LPG regulator as a ''cask breather'. My beer engine has a 3/4 inch hose connector. Where and how do I reduce from that down to the 3/8 beer line that goes into the Corny 'out' post connector?

Thanks
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

joe1002
Piss Artist

Re: Beer Engine to Corny Keg pipework

Post by joe1002 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Are you sure it’s 3/4”? Most take a hose with 1/2” id which would mean you can use one of these: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOHN-GUEST-3- ... PeSXR1hCzQ

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:31 pm

joe1002 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm
Are you sure it’s 3/4”? Most take a hose with 1/2” id
Thanks. I haven't actually measured it yet but eyeballing it over the weekend it is definitely more than 1/2" - I will check. Would the reducer go at the keg end or the beer engine end of the line? My concern is that putting it at the beer engine end would result in a greater vacuum due to the increased resistance of the line and cause excessive foaming.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:18 am

If you get a 'check valve' it takes a fat pipe from the pump and a push fit beer line to go to corny . I've got three set up. I'll send you a photo . I'm interested in what you say about lpg regulator / breather .How does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 am

greenwood wrote:If you get a 'check valve' it takes a fat pipe from the pump and a push fit beer line to go to corny . I've got three set up. I'll send you a photo . I'm interested in what you say about lpg regulator / breather .How does that work?

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:26 pm

greenwood wrote:
greenwood wrote:If you get a 'check valve' it takes a fat pipe from the pump and a push fit beer line to go to corny . I've got three set up. I'll send you a photo . I'm interested in what you say about lpg regulator / breather .How does that work?

Ignore the 'diagonal' pipe in the background . The check valve doesn't allow anything through until the pump is pulled no matter what the pressure in the corny is.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:56 am

The LPG regulator is installed between the primary regulator and the keg and regulates the pressure to 37mbar (approx. 14 inchs head). The idea is to keep a blanket of CO2 over the beer without enough pressure to puch the beer out through the tap, provided the tap is mounted more the 14 inches above the keg. It differs from a cask breather in that breathers are on-demand valves and only open on negative pressure, but they are a lot cheaper than breathers. I am hoping that I won't need non-return valves because the slight positive pressure provided by the LPG regulator will prevent the beer running back into the keg under gravity.

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks . That is interesting . At the moment I manage by just squirting in a bit of mixed gas in if I feel it needs it .. the check valves ensure nothing pours through if I put a bit too much in . I only pull a pint or two a day ( well 3?) from different pumps . I might try your system though .

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:41 pm

greenwood wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 pm
... At the moment I manage by just squirting in a bit of mixed gas in if I feel it needs it .. the check valves ensure nothing pours through if I put a bit too much in ...
At the risk of being boring and blowing my own trumpet ...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwzEv ... DNPdmV1bWc
It even goes into beer-engines with mixed gas which is why I've published this link (again) here.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:51 pm

PeeBee wrote:
greenwood wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 pm
... At the moment I manage by just squirting in a bit of mixed gas in if I feel it needs it .. the check valves ensure nothing pours through if I put a bit too much in ...
At the risk of being boring and blowing my own trumpet ...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwzEv ... DNPdmV1bWc
It even goes into beer-engines with mixed gas which is why I've published this link (again) here.
Wow! Talk about definitive ! CheersImage