Re-priming a bottled batch

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re-priming a bottled batch

Post by aamcle » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:06 am

The bitter I bottled using my CP filler is under primed, my fault unfortunately.

My Co2 regulator seems to suffer creep if I leave the gas on to the keg the pressure very slow rises over a day or so as a result I toped the pressure up from time to time rather than leave the gas on and I think this is why the carbonation is low.

It is carbonated but at a low level so I'm considering opening the bottles and injecting some sugar syrup then just waiting for it to carbonate natrualy, the alternative would be to drink a lot of shandy.

The problem is that I have no idea how much sugar to add, if it was just out of the FV then 3 to 4g might be Ok in a 500ml bottle on that basis would 2g per bottle be appropriate? Or should I just buy a few extra a bottles of lemonade?

Aamcle

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Re-priming a bottled batch

Post by MTW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:47 pm

I think I understand what you are asking.

Did your keg reach a point of equilibrium before you bottled, ie did it reach a point where (at a constant temperature) it stopped absorbing gas at a certain pressure in the headspace?

If so, tell us that pressure and temperature, and we can work the extra priming out. If however, you just stopped topping up the gas at a random moment while the beer may still have been soaking it up in between bursts, it will be guesswork.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:25 pm

It didn't that's why it's under primed, I messed up the forced carbonation so now I need add some sugar to the bottles.

Aamcle

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm

OK.

In that case, I will need two bottles sending for evaluation by my in house CO2 Sensory Assessment Department.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery