Sufficient yeast with bottle carbonation

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Sufficient yeast with bottle carbonation

Post by Meatymc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51 am

Ran this in the yeast section but no takers so thought I'd try here

[Post by Meatymc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:26 am]
Background:

I prefer hoppy ales
I BIAB
I treat my water
I use my own home-grown hops (so unsure of AA content)
I no-chill (don't even ask!)
I transfer the wort to a HDPE container a.s.a.p. at the end of the boil to help sterilise it
I try and leave the worst of the dregs in the pan but most is still in suspension so goes into the container
I try and leave the dregs in the container when subsequently transferring the wort to the fermenter
I use predominantly captured yeast (mainly PJ)
I've just started transferring to secondary whilst a couple of points off target because.........
.........I've just changed hop addition emphasis to dry hopping in the secondary and read this is what to do (?)
I dry hop for 3 days
I've subsequently just started cold crashing to drop out what I can
I bottle - carbonating with dextrose

Whilst I'm getting there slowly but surely in terms of the taste/aroma I'd like to try and improve the clarity if possible.

Read a lot about adding finings etc but, given the above, I'm concerned about losing too much yeast for bottle carbonation.

Is this an issue?

Oh, forgot to mention, I drink too much and make too little so any additions to timescale will be difficult :wink:

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Sufficient yeast with bottle carbonation

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Graysalchemy said a while ago "to have clear beer coming out you have to have clear beer going in".
On a home brew scale there will always be enough residual yeast to carbonate the beer given time. If you want it to carbonate more quickly add two point five grammes of disolved sugar per litre before bottling. If you are not prepared to wait a reasonable period for the beer to carbonate and mature then you are wasting your time. When mature there should be a barely visible yeast film on the bottom that will not budge when pouring. In fact if you use WLP 037 yeast you can pour the whole contents of a bottle into a glass with no visible turbity in the beer.
The quick answer to your question is NO.

Edit. Add finings when there are no signs of yeast activity and gravity has remained constant for at least three days and then leave it another three days before kegging or bottling. Always fill a plastic bottle as a control sample and then a simple squeeze will let you know how carbonation is progressing.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Maybe I'm being touchy but not sure I deserved the lecture on waiting for carbonation
IPA wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm
If you are not prepared to wait a reasonable period for the beer to carbonate and mature then you are wasting your time.
Don't have any issues with carbonation at the moment thanks and was simply asking whether adding a 'finings' step could/would have any further impact given the restrictions (no chill etc) I have in my process.

I'll take the
IPA wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm
The quick answer to your question is NO.
though ta.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:32 pm

Unfiltered beer contains more than enough yeast for conditioning. For months, unless you're bulk ageing a very big beer over an extended time. Based on your procedure, I'd say you're doing, well, fine :lol: Seriously, don't package beer until it's ready to be packaged, unless you're wanting a 'craft beer' of some description. It's called a 'secondary' and it's not for the impatient crafty brewer.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:49 pm

"Maybe I'm being touchy but not sure I deserved the lecture on waiting for carbonation"

You did say

"Oh, forgot to mention, I drink too much and make too little so any additions to timescale will be difficult "

No offence meant
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:23 pm

And none taken!!

Just to qualify, I'd like to be able to store at least 25% of each brew for a year but that hasn't happened as yet. Apart from test bottles ( :wink: ) I usually leave it at least a couple of months.

IPA - only just twigged where you are coming from and my fault for not being clearer:
Meatymc wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51 am
Oh, forgot to mention, I drink too much and make too little so any additions to timescale will be difficult :wink:
What I meant by this is adding 'processing' time not 'maturing' time. I'm limited as regards both time and equipment so adding a few extra days involving my [single vessel] brew fridge could mean at least an additional 2 weeks before the next brew day. Fully appreciate pointless not allowing the finished brew to mature.