serving bright beer from a cornie

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
ciderhead
Piss Artist

Re: serving bright beer from a cornie

Post by ciderhead » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 pm

I always crash the fv for 3-4 days and then after the first say half in the keg after same as long as I don’t disturb keg afterwards it I get clean beer.
I’m sold on that gadget though not because I need one but because I want one

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:43 pm

IPA wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:47 pm
Sorry about the orientation but here is a piccie of the very first beer out of the cornie using this float device. For me this is the clearest brightest beer I have ever served from a cornie. This is carbonated in the keg using priming sugar not force carbonated!

=D> Ill be revisiting this when I finally brew and use a CaskWidge
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:41 pm

I’m totally confused by the in post/ out post debate . Why can’t I cut the beer out post and fit the float to it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 pm

IPA wrote:Sorry about the orientation but here is a piccie of the very first beer out of the cornie using this float device. For me this is the clearest brightest beer I have ever served from a cornie. This is carbonated in the keg using priming sugar not force carbonated!

Very very impressive . I have used cornys on hand pump and through keg taps for years . Always been happy enough with clarity but must admit not got that crystal clear shine . I must get that clarity especially for keg/craft beer .

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 am

greenwood wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:41 pm
I’m totally confused by the in post/ out post debate . Why can’t I cut the beer out post and fit the float to it ?

You can indeed cut the beer out dip tube but they are difficult, if not impossible, to replace. Making the Cornie worthless if you want to sell it. Much better to buy a readily available short gas in tube and use that on the out post
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 am

IPA wrote:
greenwood wrote:

You can indeed cut the beer out dip tube but they are difficult, if not impossible, to replace. Making the Cornie worthless if you want to sell it. Much better to buy a readily available short gas in tube and use that on the out post
Makes complete sense! Gas dip tubes on order. Live near ballihoo so can pin in for floats . thanks

DaveGillespie
Tippler

Post by DaveGillespie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 am

I've tried this in a Corny and am getting terrible slow flow/foaming with one of those Latstock floats, although admittedly I might be using slightly higher carbonation. Think I will try some M10 hex nuts as a counterweight on the silicon tubing.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:49 am

Its a problem I have never had, my beer seems to come out bright after the first glass.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:28 am

greenwood wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 am
IPA wrote:
greenwood wrote:

Makes complete sense! Gas dip tubes on order. Live near ballihoo so can pin in for floats . thanks

They work best if you use silicone hose with them because it is much more flexible. Available from the Malt.Miller

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:23 pm

DaveGillespie wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 am
I've tried this in a Corny and am getting terrible slow flow/foaming with one of those Latstock floats, although admittedly I might be using slightly higher carbonation. Think I will try some M10 hex nuts as a counterweight on the silicon tubing.
I think those counterweights go against the principle. The principle works well, in my experience.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Foaming with a float system can be caused by the flexible tube's inlet being on/at the surface instead of somewhat under it. That could be due to too little weight (or too much buoyancy) but can also be caused if the weight/buoyancy isn't in the right place with respect to the flexible tube's inlet. (foaming can also be caused by a leak above beer level, e.g. where the flexible tube meets the outlet tube).

But the orientation of the inlet and float can also become wrong if the flexible tube can't float freely enough - e.g. is tangled up or pressing against the keg sides. The slow flow mentioned could possibly indicate that it might be kinked, and so not acting as it should.
Kev

DaveGillespie
Tippler

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:51 pm

I've opened this keg up and had a look at it. Going through Kev's list:

- no kink in the tubing
- orientation of the inlet doesn't seem to be a problem, the ball spins freely on the end of the tube so Orients itself when in contact with beer
- no leaks at the point of fixing tube to dip tube (usinv a gas one as in original post)

The back of the float does seem to be only partially submerged in the beer. This keg was initially filled with about 14 litres and there is 5 or so left so I think this may be a case of the float becoming only partially submerged as the beer level drops.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:37 am

DaveGillespie wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:51 pm
I've opened this keg up and had a look at it. Going through Kev's list:

- no kink in the tubing
- orientation of the inlet doesn't seem to be a problem, the ball spins freely on the end of the tube so Orients itself when in contact with beer
- no leaks at the point of fixing tube to dip tube (usinv a gas one as in original post)

The back of the float does seem to be only partially submerged in the beer. This keg was initially filled with about 14 litres and there is 5 or so left so I think this may be a case of the float becoming only partially submerged as the beer level drops.
It's probably for one of two reasons that you are having a problem.
1 You have not replaced the hose supplied with the float with 9mm silicone hose which is far more flexible
2 The beer is over carbonated

Alone we travel faster

DaveGillespie
Tippler

Post by DaveGillespie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:16 am

Definitely replaced the hose with the same spec as you used in your original post. Whether or not the beer is over carbonated would be a matter of opinion, but it is probably more carbonated than yours - 10psi @ 6c or 7c.

I will try a counterweight.

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Followed instructions and just barrelled a lager . Tried it through tap and it flows well and is pretty clear ... obviously have to wait a few days for carbonation and clarity .. but I am very happy so far and no foaming problem .