Keg Pressure loss - Schoolboy error

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Keg Pressure loss - Schoolboy error

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:23 am

I had an impromptu brew night yesterday to get something fermenting whilst I am away for the week at half term. I was fairly rushed and trying (badly) to multitask. I kegged my latest brew to free up a FV and hooked up with co2 etc. I rewarded myself at the end of it all by having a few pints from another keg in the keezer, being lazy I just switched the gas line from the keg I just filled to serve with.

Working from home today so when in checking on something else I noticed I had forgot to swich the gas back. The keg had lost pressure and is a reconditioned Corny where the lid is not that tight when no / low on pressure unlike the newer ones which are much more tightly fitting. I reapplied pressure straight away but this is going to sit in the back of my mind if I have just ruined 19L of fresh beer. It was without gas for approx 10 hours

Does anyone have any experience of this? I won't be throwing it out but hope in a couple of weeks time it is not an oxidised mess.

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Keg Pressure loss - Schoolboy error

Post by LeeH » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 am

It will be fine I'm sure, C02 is heavy so I would have thought there would be enough left in the keg to prevent a substantial amount of O2 getting in.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:37 am

The keg was purged leaving CO2 above the beer. I think there is very little chance of a significant amount of air getting in. Sometimes when I've filled a keg I have some beer left in the FV which gets syphoned into a 2 ltr coke bottle perhaps with a considerable amount of air remaining above it. A bit of priming sugar takes a good few hours to generate pressure but the point is the air is still there - so a much "worse" situation but the beer turns out fine.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks guys, always nice to have some reassurance for matters such as this! It is a hoppy pale and dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin amongst other hops so not the cheapest of brews to conjure up!

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:05 pm

LeeH wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 am
It will be fine I'm sure, C02 is heavy so I would have thought there would be enough left in the keg to prevent a substantial amount of O2 getting in.
Yeah, that! You can probably basically drain a keg of beer (as long as you don't leave the tap open to the point when it glugs.) Leave it for a few weeks and it's very unlikely to oxidize. Relax!