Bottle conditioned yeast in suspension

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Bottle conditioned yeast in suspension

Post by steviebobs83 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:12 pm

I have a load of bottles of Belgian Strong Ale from earlier in the year that appear perfectly clear in the bottle but the yeast kicks up into suspension as soon as I open them and I have to get them poured within a matter of seconds to prevent cloudy beer. If i get some yeast it's still drinkable but very annoying.

They're not over-carbed (in my opinion) but slightly on the high side as is usual for the style.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the yeast kicking up? Shall I get them to near freezing before opening perhaps?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Re: Bottle conditioned yeast in suspension

Post by gaunt_paul » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Low temperature, as you suggest, might calm them down a bit. You could try to release a little pressure prior to pouring by cracking the cap off a tiny fraction, then letting it sit for a few minutes.

I've had this happen to me a few times, i think due to infection at the bottling stage. Thankfully the beers tasted fine as long as i could get them into the glass

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:07 pm

In my experience you're pretty buggered in that sense, the solution is to drink in the dark and not care too much about clarity, haha. Assuming they're not gushing you could pop the cap slightly, let it froth up then put it in the fridge for a few more hours to settle back down. What yeast did you use?

brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by brewbrew » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:16 pm

I have had similar - it happened to me when I let too much trub/yeast sediment from primary carry over to the bottle. A brewing pro explained that although I had the right amount of sugar for carbonation, the yeast can, given enough time start to devour the trubby sediment and make more C02 from within. The only solution I found was to chill them very low (eg leave in shed on frosty night) and open and pour very quickly (accepting some frothy overflow) and get about 60% out of the bottle before the sediment volcano came up. The rest went down the drain. I got into a habit of lengthy secondary holding and not being over ambitious to syphon too close to the sediment (in a desire to not waste any) in any racking after my volcanic sediment experience.

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:16 pm

I used Mangrove Jacks Belgian Tripel M31 but I think I drastically over pitched due to my own failure to read a refractometer. Thought it had stalled and pitched again after a month and later realised I hadn't corrected for alcohol content when taking a reading.

Perhaps that's it, just too much yeast and trub still in suspension at bottling. The additional 1 gallon batches I aged on fruit/wood for an extra month don't have this problem so maybe I was too eager with bottling the main batch.

Hey ho, it still tastes bloody lovely.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:18 am

steviebobs83 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:12 pm
I have a load of bottles of Belgian Strong Ale from earlier in the year that appear perfectly clear in the bottle but the yeast kicks up into suspension as soon as I open them and I have to get them poured within a matter of seconds to prevent cloudy beer. If i get some yeast it's still drinkable but very annoying.

They're not over-carbed (in my opinion) but slightly on the high side as is usual for the style.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the yeast kicking up? Shall I get them to near freezing before opening perhaps?

Here we go again.
IF YOU WANT CLEAR BEER COMING OUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE CLEAR BEER GOING IN
In other words there should not be any yeast to " kick up"
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:52 am

I've just used M31 for the first time. It was very slow to clear. I gave it 3 weeks of cold (shed) storage in bulk, and the sediment in the bottles is within my own definition of reasonable, though not quite a commercial level bare-dusting. The small amount left in the bottles dropped like a stone, though your reports and others lead me to think it kicks up easily upon opening.

Some think that sediment nucleates CO2, so it's a self-compounding problem if that's true. More yeast in bottle = more to kick up = more to give points of nucleation. I do agree with IPA, and if I hadn't been disappointed with the beer anyway and just wanted it through, I would have given it even longer to brighten up.

I will be updating this thread soon. The M41 brew is on the go now.

PS - my understanding of yeast and pitch rates is that you are unlikely to have produced excess yeast by 'overpitching'; it may have reduced the number of reproductions the yeast went through before fermenting the beer, for better or worse, but the final cell density will only have changed if you were significantly under-pitching before. It's a while since I read all the technical yeast stuff, so someone step in if you want!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:07 am

IPA wrote:
steviebobs83 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Here we go again.
IF YOU WANT CLEAR BEER COMING OUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE CLEAR BEER GOING IN
In other words there should not be any yeast to " kick up"
Sorry boss, it's never happened before and I won't do it again.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 am

Certain yeasts are very “dusty” and will not compact well.

This is quite typical of yeasts that ferment at high gravity or low temperatures (strong Belgians and lagers for instance).

The trick to getting them to bottle condition well without disturbing the sediment is to make sure that very little sediment gets through.

Fine it until you can read through it, and lager it for weeks if necessary