Co2 refill adapter

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Co2 refill adapter

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi all. I have a small kegerator set up that just about houses 2 corny kegs. Because I have dogs in the house and a small garden, I don't want a co2 tank in the house for safety reasons.
I do however have access to basically unlimited co2 and a full tank in the garage. At the moment I blast the kegs with gas to 20 psi then just pour at high speed and let it settle (doesn't cost me anything). I'm wondering if anyone has used a co2 refill adapter to move co2 from a large canister to a small one so I can add top pressure to my kegs and keep serving without lugging my tank into the living room
Cheers!

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Co2 refill adapter

Post by LeeH » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:44 am

Yes I use the one from CO2 super market.

The donor tank needs a dip tube or be upside down. The soda bottles need to be frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Someone at my homebrew club is playing around with various ideas for avoiding lugging co2 cylinders around and shared this idea (note that I can't vouch for this as I've not tried it myself, but it sounded like an option for you to try):

If you get a carbonator cap you can pressurise a PET fizzy drinks bottle up to 3 bar/45 PSI and then use that as your keg gas source.

A 2 litre bottle will push out 5+ litres, but the pressure drops as you go, so I don't know if you could leave it connected or if it's just good for a session.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:58 pm

I’ve read about people using something like these that will fill smaller tanks
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Sporting-Goo ... B00OAWW1OM
Originally for paint ball or home soda carbonation.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:02 pm

https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/sodast ... -p520.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:37 pm

Damn. Great idea but ridiculous price for a small connector!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:33 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:Damn. Great idea but ridiculous price for a small connector!

They can be got much cheaper e.g. https://www.kegland.com.au/sodastream-c ... valve.html , I know it's in Australia but it has a quite useful video and they do have resellers here, although I am not sure if they carry this particular item.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Jocky wrote:Someone at my homebrew club is playing around with various ideas for avoiding lugging co2 cylinders around and shared this idea (note that I can't vouch for this as I've not tried it myself, but it sounded like an option for you to try):

If you get a carbonator cap you can pressurise a PET fizzy drinks bottle up to 3 bar/45 PSI and then use that as your keg gas source.

A 2 litre bottle will push out 5+ litres, but the pressure drops as you go, so I don't know if you could leave it connected or if it's just good for a session.
That's actually quite a genius idea, I would be interested to see how this works out in practice. Could be great with 6/9/11L corny kegs or the similar mini kegs.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:54 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 pm
That's actually quite a genius idea, I would be interested to see how this works out in practice. Could be great with 6/9/11L corny kegs or the similar mini kegs.
That's precisely what they are looking at it for.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:07 pm

I like the pet bottle idea.
Im going to give that a try with my 9l corny.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

wasteddegrees
Sober

Post by wasteddegrees » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Would recommend going to supplier to bars. We bought a large bottle for £40 and refill is £5 a time

Sodastreams are far to costly