Floating dip tube for corny

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
demig
Hollow Legs
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by demig » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:04 pm

helmetHeid wrote:Cool, looks good. Have you a had a chance to test one yet?
Nope only just ordered late yesterday, got to be better than the caskwidge as I can autoclave these. I’ll pop a review up when I get them, arrive on Monday

User avatar
PeeBee
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by PeeBee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Can't you autoclave caskwidge?
blob.jpg
I clean/sanitise my floats in-situ so couldn't autoclave anyway. One issue with in-situ cleaning though is when forcing cleaner/sanitiser backwards down the liquid-out disconnect it can push the silicone hose off the (short) dip tube.

wasteddegrees
Sober
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:47 am

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by wasteddegrees » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 pm

For me, with chilling unfined beer to 5 celsius the first pint pulled hazy but thereafter clear. Used to use gelatin but no need now with crash chilling

greenwood
Steady Drinker
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:43 am

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by greenwood » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Following a previous thread . I tried ladstock floats with silicone tube . Disappointed ... always foamy compared with dip tube corny . I think the float tilts and lets gas through with the beer ??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
IPA
Under the Table
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 am
Location: France Gascony

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by IPA » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am

greenwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:37 pm
Following a previous thread . I tried ladstock floats with silicone tube . Disappointed ... always foamy compared with dip tube corny . I think the float tilts and lets gas through with the beer ??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been using two sorts of floats for a while now with no foaming and brillant clear beer. One is the Ballihoo plastic float and the other is the stainless Fermentasaurus one. Never tried the original Latstock float which comes with pvc tube. PVC tube could cause a problem due to its rigidity and the narrow width of a corny.
The ideal size of silicone tube is 6/9 mm. I will say again that you have never seen beer so clear from a corny until you have tried one of these. Unless you have the facilities to make filtered, pasturised, force carbonated beer. This is because any particles such as yeast, protein etc eventually settle on the bottom right next to the entry of the out dip tube.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

User avatar
Eric
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2129
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:18 am
Location: Sunderland.

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by Eric » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am

IPA wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am
greenwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:37 pm
Following a previous thread . I tried ladstock floats with silicone tube . Disappointed ... always foamy compared with dip tube corny . I think the float tilts and lets gas through with the beer ??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been using two sorts of floats for a while now with no foaming and brillant clear beer. One is the Ballihoo plastic float and the other is the stainless Fermentasaurus one. Never tried the original Latstock float which comes with pvc tube. PVC tube could cause a problem due to its rigidity and the narrow width of a corny.
The ideal size of silicone tube is 6/9 mm. I will say again that you have never seen beer so clear from a corny until you have tried one of these. Unless you have the facilities to make filtered, pasturised, force carbonated beer. This is because any particles such as yeast, protein etc eventually settle on the bottom right next to the entry of the out dip tube.
Never had a problem with the original Latstock float with pvc tube in a KK.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

User avatar
vacant
Under the Table
Posts: 1943
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: downstairs
Contact:

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by vacant » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:44 am

I got some gas-in dip tubes from China. They were very short and it was a problem attaching the tubing from inside the corny.

The solution was to swap round the longer original gas-in dip tube. Blindlingly obvious, but I was struggling for a few minutes before that particular light bulb came on ](*,)
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

User avatar
Trefoyl
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2301
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:28 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by Trefoyl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:34 pm

vacant wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:44 am
Blindlingly obvious, but I was struggling for a few minutes before that particular light bulb came on ](*,)
Story of my life :oops: :lol:
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

User avatar
IPA
Under the Table
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 am
Location: France Gascony

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by IPA » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:18 am

Eric wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am
IPA wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am
greenwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:37 pm
Following a previous thread . I tried ladstock floats with silicone tube . Disappointed ... always foamy compared with dip tube corny . I think the float tilts and lets gas through with the beer ??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been using two sorts of floats for a while now with no foaming and brillant clear beer. One is the Ballihoo plastic float and the other is the stainless Fermentasaurus one. Never tried the original Latstock float which comes with pvc tube. PVC tube could cause a problem due to its rigidity and the narrow width of a corny.
The ideal size of silicone tube is 6/9 mm. I will say again that you have never seen beer so clear from a corny until you have tried one of these. Unless you have the facilities to make filtered, pasturised, force carbonated beer. This is because any particles such as yeast, protein etc eventually settle on the bottom right next to the entry of the out dip tube.
Never had a problem with the original Latstock float with pvc tube in a KK.
Exactly the point I was trying to make Eric. The Latstock float with PVC tube works fine in a King Keg because it is much wider than a Cornie. But it won't bend enough in a Cornie and could leave the float above the beer.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

User avatar
spook100
Piss Artist
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:39 pm
Location: Bramshott, Hampshire (expat Yarpie)

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by spook100 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 pm

helmetHeid wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 am
Cool, looks good. Have you a had a chance to test one yet?
I have a couple of them and they work really well. The only problem that I have is getting the silicon tube over the stainless steel dip tube of the keg post. It is a very tight fit and difficult to do even outside of the keg. Trying to do it blind in the confine space of the keg is nearly impossible. I have resorted to using a short piece of transfer tubing that fits over the dip tube a lot more easily (but snuggly). I then push the silicon tube from the float inside the transfer tubing and clamp it in place using a small cable tie (it helps to soften the tubing in boiling water). I can then slip the transfer tubing over the stainless dip tube quite easily, even inside the keg.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

User avatar
IPA
Under the Table
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 am
Location: France Gascony

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by IPA » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:33 pm

spook100 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 pm
helmetHeid wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 am
Cool, looks good. Have you a had a chance to test one yet?
I have a couple of them and they work really well. The only problem that I have is getting the silicon tube over the stainless steel dip tube of the keg post. It is a very tight fit and difficult to do even outside of the keg. Trying to do it blind in the confine space of the keg is nearly impossible. I have resorted to using a short piece of transfer tubing that fits over the dip tube a lot more easily (but snuggly). I then push the silicon tube from the float inside the transfer tubing and clamp it in place using a small cable tie (it helps to soften the tubing in boiling water). I can then slip the transfer tubing over the stainless dip tube quite easily, even inside the keg.
Try using 6mm ID 9mm OD silicon tube it is a perfect easy fit. Much better than the supplied tube.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Post Reply