Beer engine + polypins

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
CaptAwol
Tippler

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by CaptAwol » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Lanky94 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:36 pm
CaptAwol wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:36 pm
I have successfully used a beer engine with polypins for years, there are different types of bags and with the right ones beer will last for month's. The ones I get are from 'Jigsaw baginbox' they are double skinned and for once only use, I keep them in a cool box so don't need to buy the cardboard box. The more you buy the cheaper they are, I usually buy 100 a time, you will also some vitop connectors to connect lines to it. I use the fastferment and transfering is simple with no worries about air coming into contact with the beer. I consider the cost of a bag worth it without all the hassles.
I have just googled these........that's my next acquisition! Thank you. Are they easy to sterilise? I would imagine the 10 litre is a good size?
I use the 20 litre bags easily takes 23l my batch size though recently I've started putting 3l in bottles or in a mini keg, bags are once only use though I clean out a few and use for numerous uses such as keeping starsan or storing water from wort chiller for cleaning

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:28 pm

CaptAwol wrote:I have successfully used a beer engine with polypins for years, there are different types of bags and with the right ones beer will last for month's. The ones I get are from 'Jigsaw baginbox' they are double skinned and for once only use, I keep them in a cool box so don't need to buy the cardboard box. The more you buy the cheaper they are, I usually buy 100 a time, you will also some vitop connectors to connect lines to it. I use the fastferment and transfering is simple with no worries about air coming into contact with the beer. I consider the cost of a bag worth it without all the hassles.
Which particular bags do you use, the standard beer ones or the economy ones? I'm guessing the filler and closing tool are not really needed?
You mention that beer can last for months, what's the average time you have found for session/hoppy/stronger beers? What about once tapped?

CaptAwol
Tippler

Post by CaptAwol » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:36 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:28 pm
CaptAwol wrote:I have successfully used a beer engine with polypins for years, there are different types of bags and with the right ones beer will last for month's. The ones I get are from 'Jigsaw baginbox' they are double skinned and for once only use, I keep them in a cool box so don't need to buy the cardboard box. The more you buy the cheaper they are, I usually buy 100 a time, you will also some vitop connectors to connect lines to it. I use the fastferment and transfering is simple with no worries about air coming into contact with the beer. I consider the cost of a bag worth it without all the hassles.
Which particular bags do you use, the standard beer ones or the economy ones? I'm guessing the filler and closing tool are not really needed?
You mention that beer can last for months, what's the average time you have found for session/hoppy/stronger beers? What about once tapped?
The filler and closing tools are not required at all just the vitop connectors. I get "20l Ale bags with taps" x 100 @ 1.75 each, no need to bother with the boxes as I use 25l cool boxes I got from some bargain shop years ago.
Generally I brew light hoppy session beers about 4% and they keep very well for a few months if right temperature is maintained 10-13c.
I will add that I don't use finings and just do a crash cool to clear the beer and I don't prime when I rack the beer off, I use torrified wheat in the recipes and get a really good head with the beer engine.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:46 pm

Cheers, that helps clarify things.