Mini Keg using carbonated beer

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Mini Keg using carbonated beer

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:41 am

I have some mini kegs from Christmas from some breweries which are ones which are intended for retail sale and single use, having a tap at the bottom. I have bought replacement bungs which are the same as the original where you release pressure when drawing from the tap.

I have removed the bung from one of them and gave it a good clean out. What I was wondering if anyone has any experience of filling these will already carbonated beer from a keg or the likes?

What I plan to do is chill the mini keg down along with the corny keg it will be receiving the beer from to 0c. I then plan to use a beer gun where I would flush the mini keg with co2 and then transfer the carbonated beer with hopefully the foaming being not too severe. I would fill leaving a minimal amount of headspace, give another flush of co2 and quickly seal in the bung.

What I am trying to gauge is if I then don't touch it does anyone have any idea of the shelf life if stored cold? I wouldn't by any means be thinking months and months but possibly a few weeks? I understand that once it is tapped there is a short life span. As I have not carbonated in the mini keg it should still dispense ok as it has the bottom tap?

I have looked online for some guidance but not seen much specific around this plus always welcome the views of the folk on here.

I have actually said to some mates that I will brew up a hoppy one for them nearer the summer and then split it into a mini keg each for them to then carbonate and drink when they see fit. If I am also able to do it like I plan to above it is handy as I have want to make space in my keezer and have a brew to my brother in laws liking which saves me bottling from the main keg.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Mini Keg using carbonated beer

Post by orlando » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:59 pm

My guess is you will struggle. The main problem is having the receiving vessel pressurised to the level of your donating keg. The other problem is oxidation, I'm not convinced you can do this O2 free. You can try it of course and you will succedd in transferring, but I suspect you will lose too much carbonation, ending up with relatively flat and oxidised Beer. OK in the very short term, say a weekend party, but not over several weeks. I hope you can prove me wrong, I will watch the thread with interest.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:35 pm

It might be possible to do it with the aid of one of the CPFs that are available on eBay, or the TapCooler ones the Malt Miller sells. But I don't know how the diameter of the bung hole compares with opening on a standard crown cap bottle.
Best wishes

Dave

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:25 pm

Thanks for the comments.

What I think I may do is fill one for drinking the same day / weekend and see how I get on. I have a brew on keg I am a unsold on so may just experiment and fill one, leave it a couple of weeks then do a side by side to see if any visible signs of deterioration.

In any case I will make use of them in the summer and do the natural carbonation route to hand out to mates.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:24 pm

If any of them are from Adnams, people have reported being able to recover the production multistrain yeast from Adnams minikegs, which has a pretty good reputation.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Thanks for the tip!! These ones are Fynne Ales but will keep that in mind as my brother in law likes Ghost Ship in the mini keg so will be getting him that next time and request he keeps it for me when done.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:41 pm

I reckon go for it. Purge with co2 first and it should be basically oxygen free providing your fittings are tight. Bottling for commercial breweries isn’t a whole lot different to that.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:38 pm
Thanks for the tip!! These ones are Fynne Ales but will keep that in mind as my brother in law likes Ghost Ship in the mini keg so will be getting him that next time and request he keeps it for me when done.

Check with Adnams first, but I'm fairly sure Ghost Ship is a keg only version.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:46 pm

orlando wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:24 pm
Check with Adnams first, but I'm fairly sure Ghost Ship is a keg only version.
Yep, looking at this, they distinguish between mini-casks which are yeast-conditioned and mini-kegs which aren't. Southwold and Broadside are the only regulars in mini-casks, plus seasonals like Fat Sprat and Old Ale. Ghost Ship is in a mini-keg along with Blackshore and DHL.

I don't follow Fyne closely, but I believe they have an in-house yeast managed for them by Brewlab. Wouldn't surprise me if it came from one of the Edinburgh breweries. Might be worth looking to see if there's any yeast there but suspect they're probably force-carbed.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 pm

There are counter pressure devices specifically designed to fill these kegs, although you will need a pressurised vessel to transfer from. If you check out some of the German home brew shops they sell them.