Co2 regulator advice

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Jaydee
Tippler

Co2 regulator advice

Post by Jaydee » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Hi all,
My regulator is starting to play up and I think it’s time to buy a new one.
What’s people’s opinions as the best all round one to go for - I’m a little confused looking at some of the offerings on the likes of eBay and I don’t want to buy a potential dangerous item.
I think I need two gauges and for them to be marked in psi. I’d also like the adjustment to be by knob rather than screwdriver.
Your thoughts would be appreciated 😊

mosquat
Piss Artist

Re: Co2 regulator advice

Post by mosquat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:01 pm

How many kegs do you want to dispense from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:06 pm

A member recommended these, I hated the look of them but bought them and was really happy with the results. I got 3 in the end so can control pressure across 3 kegs:

https://www.micromatic.com/economy/1-pr ... -1141-mini

Ebay usually has them cheap

Jaydee
Tippler

Post by Jaydee » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi mosquitos,
I have a total of 4 cornys but only dispense from one
at a time. Purely home solo use. 👌

Jaydee
Tippler

Post by Jaydee » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Sorry, meant mosquat!

As these are ‘secondary’ regulators, can they be used on just one keg and connected to the gas bottle?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:04 pm

Those secondary regulators are good little things, so thumbs up on the suggestion. But from the OP I'm guessing that here a primary regulator is needed first (or alone). And no, you shouldn't connect secondaries to the gas cylinder directly.

In which case the wish list seems good to me; the only things I would add are to make sure it has sensible Pressure Release Valve(s) in case something should go wrong, and to buy from a reputable seller so that you can trust it is safe. Unfortunately I haven't bought one for ages so can't recommend a specific item, but maybe others can.

There is also the second-hand market. There, most test-by dates will be out the window and the history unknown, but if it is a good make and in good condition then they can be decent if everyone is being honest. I had an incident which put me off this approach though, so can't recommend it for primary regs (I will still take a punt on cheap/used secondaries).
Kev

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Ah yea sorry ive got a primary reg too, forgot that

Jaydee
Tippler

Post by Jaydee » Wed May 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Thanks for all your comments.
I finally bit the bullet and purchased from the Malt Miller, one of their single output Italian regulators and it’s now is fitted and working well.
That let me look at my existing system and work out what was causing the problem of loss of gas etc. I finally found out that my regulator had a small leak from the hose between it and the bottle causing a loss of gas and control. No wonder I couldn’t get a stable output! A new washer and hose has now solved the problem perfectly and so I now have a spare double output regulator for my future use as a spare. Or maybe sell it on? Any takers?

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 am

Does your "spare" regulator have the ability to set different pressure on each of the outputs?
Ideally, I'm after a 3 output regulator on which I can set each output at a different pressure, but I could make do with a 2 output if the price is right ;-)
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!