Corney Keg to Beer Tower Set-Up. FOAMING

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Corney Keg to Beer Tower Set-Up. FOAMING

Post by LeeH » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:13 pm

If you have gas then no, you will just introduce sediment in to your keg.

Unless there’s a reason why you want to condition that way for subtle flavour reasons but I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Your priming is a tad too much. I will give you a detailed response very soon.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:15 am

Yes, I agree. The carbonation of the beer (whether created by priming or force carbonation) and the serving pressure 'both' need to be suitable. If over carbonated it will foam almost irrespective of serving pressure (or if the serving pressure is too high, for the temperature, then the carbonation will gradually increase when on tap and then it will foam).

In this case your serving pressure/temperature looks reasonable so the beer is likely over-carbonated to begin with, just as IPA says. Either due to enthusiastic priming and/or because the beer has continued fermenting a little beyond apparent FG. Prevention would be preferable, but very occasionally yeast can surprise us even with care; his spunding valve is one way of preventing accidental excess of pressure, or you can just use a pressure gauge to visually check all is well from time to time, once kegged.

That said, the beer should need to be 'truly' over-carbonated for it to be the cause. If a system would be unable to cope with 'normally' high carbonation (such as would be typical with lagers and some foreign beers), say up to 2.5 volumes or so, then something else isn't right - such as a sub-optimum setup or leaks around the dip tube or spear.
Kev