Too much froth

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Globaldave
Sober

Too much froth

Post by Globaldave » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:53 am

Having set up my home bar and had my first pint of Carling in this awful weather it still went down well.

the problem i had was to much waste due to frothing, i cleaned the lines even though they were brand new, the bar is outside and the barrel temp would be around the 13 degree mark so a little warm but goes through the cooler and came out lovely and cold all the same, i think the gas i am using is mixed gas as the local pub gave me a half full one even though i asked for co2 i had what i was given and PSI is set to around 17 psi.

the pipe is a normal beer line that goes to a like inline flow restrictor to a much smaller thin line to the tap.

whilst pouring it just seems to be the last part of the pint that gives the kick of froth.

any help is greatly appreciated, as soon as i can post pictures i will thanks peeps

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Too much froth

Post by alexlark » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:30 am

Are you sure you've got mixed gas? Those bottles require a different regulator.

Try reducing the pressure slightly and see if you get a steady pour.

Globaldave
Sober

Post by Globaldave » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:17 pm

sorry yeah it said mixed gas on the bottle but the landlord has assured me it is definatly co2. he suggested reducing the psi a bit and a use an allen key to adjust the flow regulator below the tap on the pipe to see if it changes, he also suggested maybe using the spare outputs on the cooler and getting a ket jacket to keep the keg cool in summer

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi "Globaldave". We were discussing this on another thread I know, but you are introducing some conflicting info here?

So the "flow regulator" is part of the beer-line, and also steps the pipe diameter down - that makes sense, so the tap takes the thinner line which has a stripe but that doesn't indicate a "python" line, the stripe just happens to be on some of the pipe used. So that bundle of tubes you had a piccie of has a thin tube with a stripe which is the beer-line and two unused clear "python" lines - that makes more sense now.

The "landlord" assures you have plain CO2 . That's easy, so the cylinder has a male (threads on outside) connector and the regulator a female connecting nut (threads inside). No? Then you do have mixed gas, most likely "for lager" or 60% CO2 and 40% N2. But at 17PSI that would still be (60% of 17+15PSI … minus 15) about 4.2PSI in pure CO2 which will still be noticeable (4.2PSI at 13C which is … whir, whir, 1.3v/v of CO2 … will eventually be a bit - warning; understatement - low for lager, whereas 17PSI of CO2 which will be downright fizzy!). Note, 17PSI of mixed gas will probably be okay in a pub 'cos the beer will be gone in short order.

But the "landlord" also says try using the "spare" outputs? Unless there are pipe connectors your photos never showed, there are no spare outputs!
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing