Pressure barrel cap query

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Pressure barrel cap query

Post by adamzworld » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:11 pm

I have two pressure barrels with S30 type caps. Unfortunately the pin that pierces the CO2 cannister has rusted where it's been left outside. My question is can anyone recommend whether it's worth trying to strip it down to repair or am I better off just buying a brand new cap? The price for the valve by itself doesn't seem much cheaper than the whole cap with valve inlduded so I'm not sure whether it's worth the bother?

Also a few sellers appear to sell caps with stainless steel, rather than brass valves so are these worth spending more money on if they are more durable?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Pressure barrel cap query

Post by Jocky » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:05 pm

If the pin has rusted then I'd bet the rubber bands for the inlet valve and safety valve as well as the sealing o-ring will be perished too. They're only 50p or so each, but honestly I'd just bin it and buy a new one. Whether you buy the cap too is up to you, but again you might want to if the o-ring seal for the cap has perished too.

I've not found any particular advantage of the stainless steel valve vs the brass ones.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Re: Pressure barrel cap query

Post by adamzworld » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks Jocky. I was thinking about stripping the old one down to see if it was repairable, but as you say the o rings will probably be perished and by the time I've paid out to swap old for new, I might as well just bin it and buy a new one.