Corny keg

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Digby
Piss Artist

Re: Corny keg

Post by Digby » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:51 pm

Jocky wrote:I'm with Kev on this one.

I like quite a few styles that are traditionally higher carbonated (Weissbier and various Belgians). I have also had the misfortune to have these at a pub where they evidently had a leak in their system and as a result I had bother a Schneider Weisse Hopfenweisse and a Karmeliet Tripel that were woefully undercarbonated and as a result insipidly undrinkable.
I quite agree. I also make some styles such as Weissbier that are carbed to over 3 volumes. Even with my flow control taps I still need to have longer beer lines to make everything work well. Get the line length roughly right and fine tune with the flow control on the tap and away you go. Image

As an aside, I often prime my kegs (sankey rather than corny, but same principal) and I tend to use 2 to 3 g/l of sugar whatever the style. Once connected to the gas you gan tweak the pressure to increase the carbonation over a few days as required.

I prime as it is easier for me and I also generally prefer the resulting beer over a force carbed alternative. May be just my imagination though! Finally, I feel that (as with bottling) priming a keg uses almost all of the oxygen in the headspace and stabilises the beer for longer. I am drinking a 6.5% Export Stout kegged almost a year ago and it is still in excellent nick.

Sorry for the meanderings.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:36 am

Mangold wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:36 pm
Thanks all.

I think I will do the following.

Carb with sugar as I have done previously but use gas to seal.yhe keg. About 2.5 to 3g per litre.

Carb for two weeks in doors or at 18c in the temp control fridge.

Get some 3/16 line (does this fit on regular disconnect or do I need some additional john guest fitting?).

Purchase one of these.... http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/product/l ... eer-float/

But from the bay.

Use my flow control taps.

I do have a spunding valve, should I bother with it?

Thanks all for the response. Truth be told, and I am not ungrateful, I just don't get a lot of it. So am trying to take a building block approach more than anything else.

If anyone has any other tips or sees any problems with what I have said please do let me know.

Time to enjoy a pint (shop bought...boo!)
Thats the float that I prefer. You will also need to replace the beer out dip tube with a gas in tube (ebay or Amazon)
and connect it with 60 cm of 6.5mm id silicon hose. Best not to shorten the long dip tube because they are almost impossible to replace. Use the spunding valve to reduce the internal pressure to 0.5 bar before connecting the serving tap. Using a float take off will give bright beer from the first to last drop.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Corny keg

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:17 am

Digby wrote:I quite agree. I also make some styles such as Weissbier that are carbed to over 3 volumes. Even with my flow control taps I still need to have longer beer lines to make everything work well. Get the line length roughly right and fine tune with the flow control on the tap and away you go. Image

I prime as it is easier for me and I also generally prefer the resulting beer over a force carbed alternative. May be just my imagination though! Finally, I feel that (as with bottling) priming a keg uses almost all of the oxygen in the headspace and stabilises the beer for longer. I am drinking a 6.5% Export Stout kegged almost a year ago and it is still in excellent nick.
Flow control taps will only let you drop so much pressure, the Intertap manufacturers claim around 12 PSI maximum, for their own FC taps.
It is an interesting question around whether force carbonation versus natural carbonation (priming or using a spunding vavle with the last few points of fermentation) produces a nicer beer. In theory dissolved CO2 is just CO2 but there are quite a few who claim that forced carbonation produces an inferior beer, I don’t think I can believe that until I see some real evidence but I do tend to use a spunding valve myself as it is convenient, saves CO2 (I use 2kg bottles) and makes turn around time quicker.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:24 am

IPA wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:36 am
Thats the float that I prefer. You will also need to replace the beer out dip tube with a gas in tube (ebay or Amazon)
and connect it with 60 cm of 6.5mm id silicon hose. Best not to shorten the long dip tube because they are almost impossible to replace.
That's exactly what I did, all worked perfectly. I'll add that the short dip tubes I got from China were so short I couldn't easily fix the silicone tubing up inside the recess so I used them as gas-in, and used the original (and longer) gas-in as gas-out!

The beer float I used was a slightly different design. These look like a third option.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Mangold
Sober

Post by Mangold » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:58 pm

So with the float. Do I just attach the hose end over the dip tube? Should it be a snug fit?

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:59 pm

Just "wiggled on" about 5mm or more should do it, doesn't need any sort of clamp.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:36 am

Mangold wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:58 pm
So with the float. Do I just attach the hose end over the dip tube? Should it be a snug fit?

6.5mm internal diameter is the perfect push fit size

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

Mangold
Sober

Post by Mangold » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:45 pm

Brilliant, thanks Vacant and IPA.

So about 60 grams of sugar dissolved in water for the priming should be ok for 19L?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:45 am

Mangold wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:45 pm
Brilliant, thanks Vacant and IPA.

So about 60 grams of sugar dissolved in water for the priming should be ok for 19L?
I would use 48 gr. Don't forget the plastic bottle to check carbonation progress.

Alone we travel faster