Inline low pressure gauge

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Inline low pressure gauge

Post by StrontiumDog » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:27 am

Hi everyone,

I have 2 micromatic mini secondary regulators that don't have gauges, they have gradients on them that I should supposedly set them too but when I test that with my spunding valve they are MILES out. As they don't have gauges I'd like to fit an inline gauge but I have absolutely no idea how I do this. I've seen low pressure gauges like the below on eBay but no idea what else I need or how I set it all up. Or am I just better off replacing my secondaries?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264417624103

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards,

SD

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Inline low pressure gauge

Post by Kev888 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:05 pm

In the past I've seen gauges with a 3/8" diameter plain stem that could simply be fitted into the gas line using a push-fit tee, though I can't immediately see any of those on ebay, perhaps having a search around for such things would make your job simpler. The threaded type of gauge are much more common though, and for those there are several different options for fitting.

If it is of any help, what i tend to use is a stainless or brass (equal female) 1/4" BSP tee such as this:
With the pressure gauge in one hole and a couple of 3/8" push-fit to 1/4" BSP male thread adaptors in the other two:

Make sure your gauge, tee and push-fits have the same nominal thread size and type - e.g. 1/4" BSP. Which should be easy, except some Chinese sellers are notorious for giving just the nominal size (e.g. just 1/4") to obscure the fact it isn't BSP but actually NPT; the two aren't physically compatible in most sizes (and not perfectly so in any) so best to be consistent. You'll also need some PTFE tape or a liquid equivalent (that is safe for the plastic) to seal the threads.

Sometimes listings for gauges quote their accuracy, and by preference I would go for those. They needn't be hugely accurate for most of our purposes so it isn't all that important, but there is no telling quite how far out they might be if the seller doesn't indicate it at all.
Kev

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:23 am

Thanks for the advice Kev, I shall have a play about and see what I can cobble together :-)

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:26 am

Here are a couple more ideas:
Attachments
DSCF6380.JPG