Corny carbonation problems

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Corny carbonation problems

Post by Jocky » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:32 pm

You can also tell the posts apart by looking or feeling for the notches in the base of the gas/in post.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Sorcerer
Tippler

Post by Sorcerer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:17 pm

LeeH wrote:Where did you source your from? I did green for gas, red/brown for beer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was on holidays in Orlando and had them shipped to my hotel from McMaster Carr

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

LeeH
Under the Table

Corny carbonation problems

Post by LeeH » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Good idea, UK customs pulled my pants that far down you could see my toes.

Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Jase
Steady Drinker

Post by Jase » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi Guys,

So I followed the advice on here, and ensured the beer was completely flat. I used the charts and looked up 2.3 vols @ 6C (43F), which gave me 12PSI. I dialed that into my regulator and it has been like that for the last 11 days. Now onto the beer line. Using this calculator: https://www.kegerators.com/beer-line-calculator/
I have 12PSI, and the internal line diameter is 0.170" (1/4" OD), and the distance between the centre of the keg and the tap is 16" (1.33 ft). Finally, leaving the flow rate at 10 seconds, popping in all those values into the calculator gives me an estimated line length of 6.31 feet.

I have 8 feet of line, plus the two adapters on either end that step the line down to the smaller diameter line from the keg, and then back up so it can join the keg. They are about 4" each, including the connectors, which is as small as I can make them. Even though there is no way to include these in the calculator, I figured that since my line length is approximately 1.7 feet over the required distance, that should offset the fact that these adapters are wider than the rest of the line.

I also added a small 12V fan which has been running for a week, to ensure the cold air is distributed evenly throughout.

So, according to that, the keg is not overly pressurised, and I have ample line setup for this pressure. And yet, when I dispense the beer, in my pint glass I get about 1" of beer, and the rest of the glass is foam. So what am I still doing wrong?

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:54 pm

The only thing I can think of is your keg has a leak on the beer outpost so C02 is entering your beer line as you pour.

Try replacing the seals and use keg lube/cock lube.

Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:30 pm

LeeH wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:54 pm
The only thing I can think of is your keg has a leak on the beer outpost so C02 is entering your beer line as you pour.

Try replacing the seals and use keg lube/cock lube.

:o :o :o

Jase
Steady Drinker

Post by Jase » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:22 am

ok. I know the seals are fine, as I check them each time I change the beer over/clean the keg, so I know htey ar not perished or in any visibly poor condition. However I don't lube the seals with cock lube or any other type of lube :shock:

I'll take it out tomorrow, put a spot of vaseline around the seal and then re-seat it. and see if that makes any difference.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:51 am

It’s the one around the dip tube I’m referring to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro