Barrel or bottle, or barrel then bottle ??

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
DorsetDave
Sober

Barrel or bottle, or barrel then bottle ??

Post by DorsetDave » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:44 am

Hi all

Newbie here - I've been brewing 1 gallon all-grain batches, and bottling after fermentation with variable results, however in Graham Wheeler's 'bible' BYORAAH, he states "All beer destined for bottling should first be matured for a time in the barrel. Bottling straight from the fermentation vessel is bad practice and should be avoided."

He goes on to say that the best time to bottle is just after the ale has cleared in the barrel - which makes sense to me, but it's unclear when to add priming sugar in the process?

I'd be interested to know what folks are doing and what works well

All info appreciated

cheers
Dave

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Barrel or bottle, or barrel then bottle ??

Post by orlando » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 am

There is method in what he's saying but these days most people opt to rack to a bottling bucket and prime/fine in that before bottling. Lower gravity Beers are better "fresh" but high gravity Beers can benefit from maturing in a cask before bottling. Care always needs to be taken about oxygenating the Beer and of course introducing an infection. I have bottled from the FV, once the Beer has cleared, priming each bottle separately but only in small numbers, without any issues that I can tell.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

squantrill
Sober

Re: Barrel or bottle, or barrel then bottle ??

Post by squantrill » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:14 pm

I have used the same book many times. Normally Primary ferment in a SS bucket, then after the first vigorous ferment is finished, I will transfer across to a airlocked carbouy for a week or two before bottling.
Why, well thats the way I have always done it and it works for me ;), it generally ends in very clear drinkable beer.

Never had odd tasting beer using this method, and you can 'almost', be sure the primary ferment is finshed and not cause bottle grenades, obviously you should check this with a hydrometer really to be sure...so just my observation.
One thing I find the secondary ferment is useful for; is if you are going to reuse yeast. For me I find yeast washing is easier from a cleaner second ferment vessel, as most of the trub has been left in the primary vessel and long been cleaned and washed away do the drain.

There is probably lots of differing opinions on the best way here, but I think the secondary fermenting, gives your beer a better chance of that 'wow, is this homebrew', factor when you ask your friends and family to taste it ;)

Good luck..