Room Temp when Priming Pressure Barrel.

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Room Temp when Priming Pressure Barrel.

Post by Doreblade » Wed May 06, 2020 12:54 pm

First post so hope this is the right forum...

I'm a tad concerned I might not get enough carbonisation in my pressure barrel unless I warm it up. Barrel temp holding at around 16-18 C. Not sure what the room temp is but other rooms in the house are certainly warmer.

Its 23l of St Peters honey porter pressure barrelled with 90g sugar 6 days ago. Fermented at around 19-20 C.

I can use my belt heater to bring the barrel temp up or move it to a warmer room. Internet and forum searches generally say keep at 'room temp' for a couple of weeks but don't say what they mean by 'room temp'...so I thought I'd seek some opinions from this forum as to the best temp I should keep the PB contents at while its priming.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Room Temp when Priming Pressure Barrel.

Post by orlando » Thu May 07, 2020 7:11 am

16-18 is fine. It just takes a little longer but not that much. I have a Wee Heavy in my cellar, which is around 10-12 and the Beer carbed up from chill down to full pressure in a couple of weeks. Can be yeast specific once you go that low but at 16-18 over 2 weeks that is not a problem at all. You are in the right section.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Thu May 07, 2020 7:48 am

Cheers for that. Happier now so I'll leave it be for another week then move it to my garage for another couple of weeks.

Patience is a virtue they say but can't wait to see if my efforts have been worthwhile.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu May 07, 2020 8:13 am

Doreblade wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:48 am
Cheers for that. Happier now so I'll leave it be for another week then move it to my garage for another couple of weeks.

Patience is a virtue they say but can't wait to see if my efforts have been worthwhile.

The full rhyme

Patience is a virtue
Virtue is a grace
Grace was a little girl
Who would not wash her face
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by brewbrew » Thu May 07, 2020 12:25 pm

I'd say that you are at the perfect temp. I have just done one at virtually the same temp (un heated room in house) - primed 7 days ago and I pulled the first glass last night - perfect for me - a lowish but smooth milky carb. However, I only used 40g of corn/sugar/glucose for the 22 litres in the keg. Like you, I started with higher levels of sugar (I think I used just over 100g in 22 litres) and it gushed like a foam fire extingusher after a week - I had to slowly de-gass it over another week via the relief valve. My rule is 2g/l for a lowish carb and 2.5g/l for a more lively fizz. Take care when you start to dispense (a good excuse to sample early?)

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Thu May 07, 2020 1:15 pm

Thanks for the info Brebrew. Will keep all that in mind as I do more brews and see how this one turns out. Experience counts for so much ans I'll learn more as I go.

I'll also be wary of that first pint too! Can't wait but going to be a good lad and give it another week before garaging it.

I'll no doubt have a little taster at that point to see what's what but will leave it at least a couple of weeks after. It's a type of beer that warrants leaving as long as I can to develop flavour - that all depends on me though - and I'm weak-willed when it comes to beer lol.

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:20 pm

My first brew for over a decade and it was surprisingly ok. Not much left now so onto pimping up a Wilko Feeling Hoppy.Image

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:05 am

Doreblade wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:20 pm
My first brew for over a decade and it was surprisingly ok. Not much left now so onto pimping up a Wilko Feeling Hoppy.Image

That looks really nice (even at 7.04am!). Nice work 8)

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:48 am

@Doreblade That does look nice. I notice that it is a Honey Porter - is it sweet? I prefer my porter to be on the bitter side...
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Nitro Jim wrote:@Doreblade That does look nice. I notice that it is a Honey Porter - is it sweet? I prefer my porter to be on the bitter side...
Yes Nitro - it is on the sweet side but mixed with a slight bittering and sharpness in the aftertaste its not a bad pint at all, just different. It's prob not everyone's cup of tea and to be honest a little to sweet for my taste too - but it grew on me and was a goodly pint for my first effort in years.

It's all but drunk now so onwards to the next brew, just waiting for the wort to cool a little further to pitching temp Image

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Hello Doreblade.That is a lovely looking pint.
The next time you prime in a pressure barrel to help with your concern if its carbonating ok or not, mark the level of the beer with a felt or pencil on the barrel.
I find after 2 or 3 days the level falls below the mark then i sleep easy at night :idea:
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:27 pm

wanus wrote:Hello Doreblade.That is a lovely looking pint.
The next time you prime in a pressure barrel to help with your concern if its carbonating ok or not, mark the level of the beer with a felt or pencil on the barrel.
I find after 2 or 3 days the level falls below the mark then i sleep easy at night :idea:
Good tip - cheers !

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:06 pm

wanus wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:24 pm
Hello Doreblade.That is a lovely looking pint.
Or you could just run a bit out of the tap and see if it's OK!

Guy